Form Fiting Carving Pad

Dan

I need some kind of bag or pad for a 9x8 mask I am carving. I need something that I can either make for cheaper then this leather sand bag http://www.fdjtool.com/ProductInfo/DA5710.aspx or will be easy for me to make. I am hollowing out the back of the mask and I cant clamp it to my work space because the nose gets in the way. anyone have any suggestions or what I can use to hold my work in place. it needs to be large and it needs to be form fitting.

How about a large container of sand, deep enough to accommodate the nose length, but put something in between the sand and the wood, such as knit or double knit cloth, or a plastic garbage bag. It may not make it immobile but you might be able to strap it down to the container if it is made from wood, for instance. Good luck with figuring it out.

Janel

A wooden box nailed together from scrap planks, slightly larger and deeper than the mask, filled with sand, with a cloth as Janel suggested, and equipped with some 4 or so pieces of wood swivelling onto the back of the mask. Or even just a couple of planks clamped across the box, when the mask is in position, pressing it down into the sand. That should immobilise it.

might go that way but rather then build a wooden box thinking a plastic box............then I don't have worry about the mess and I can just seal the top for the next project. as for keeping from moving im thinking once I can have a bottom that contours to my mask face I can use my bench hold downs to hold the face to the table. I realize now that I need to hollow out the back before I start the face so I don't really want to spend money because next time I wont make the same mistake twice and ill start the back so it will sit flat on my table. thanks for the thoughts ill try a tray full of sand.

Archived