Sign in to follow this  
Don Barnhill

Which Tool?

I've been looking at a Turbocarver with great interest. I want a high speed tool for carving bone and antler as well as wood. I don't have a clue as to which is the best. Any thoughts?

i carve both bone and antler I use either a dremel with a felxi or my air mini die grinder I have set up in my studio or you could try a foredom machine ther are a few posts in here abot air tools and fordom mechines also you can buy a set of burs for carving wood check outher posts in here and there are some links as well hope this helps

Hi Don,

It is good to see you here again. Pinned at the top of the Tools and Technical forum area is a topic about such tools. You might find more recommendations there beyond what gets mentioned here. Good luck on your quest.

Janel

Hello Don

turbocarver will give you a freedom that a foredom will never give you . you will never hog material like a foredom or dremel because air tool of that size have no torque. But for finesse of cut or precision it has no equal you can use either carbide or diomond tools you have to let the tool do the job not force it or the tool will stall . A great plus you can carve stone shell wood ivory and anything you can put you hand on you can even make decorative punches in carbon steel

Marcel

Don, I use a little air tool called a USIO air pencil grinder, it doesn't have the speed of the turbo carver but has huge torque, but still does 65,000, I only carve stone, its Japanese made, NSK also make a quality one, I would consider these two brands the best in the air range, it carves jade with ease huge torque.

I think air is great for stone, especially with the wet environment. I am yet to come across a good one that uses single phase. Michael, what set up have you got with your air?

Personally, for a few extra dollars, you can't go past micro motors for bone and antler. Super fast, great torque, low heat and can use for hours, no vibration and extremely accurate. My carving improved 50% overnight simply by using a micro motor.

There is a massive range to choose from, but for around $500 you're likely to get a nice little handpiece to get you going.

Let me know if you want more info. Good luck, Billy.

don't know if its to late but I found the site called carving on wood .com worth looking at for advice on the right power carving tool I have read and watched the videos which has been help for me give it a look might hep