Humpback V Sperm Whale?

Baz

Hi all

I maybe have a chance to obtain a limited amount of Humpback Whale bone and was told that Humpback bone is more porous than Sperm Whale and therefore not really suitable for carving.

Does anybody have opinions or experience on this subject?

Cheers

Baz

Hey Baz. This is my understanding of whale bones. You would most likely find that any toothed whale would have a more solid jaw bone than a baline whale. The toothed whale has evolved with the stronger jaw to grip its prey. But you would still find that baline whale's jaws would still have a solid outer section which would be fine to carve. So what you receive may be lovely to carve. I would imagine that ribs and other sections of whales would be pretty similar. But the Sperm Whale's jaw would certainly be the most solid.

Regardless, I have seen some stunning works using the porous part of the bone. Any whale bone is a gift as far as I'm concerned.

Good luck, Billy.

Thanks Billy - I totally agree with your last comment.

A humpback was washed up on the beach near to my Wife's marae and after the jawbones were removed (following strict protocol of course) it looks like I may be offered a few of the bones - possibly ribs as the jawbones are earmarked for our Gateway (maybe in a year or so after they have been properly cured)

Can't wait ;)

By the way - I am still totally in awe of your work - much more practise ahead for me :wub:

Archived