New In The Community

Tom S

Hi everyone!

I'm a mostly self taught, novice carver. I started taking interest in carving around '06 or '07 when I was in high school when I started looking into tagua nut carving. I've since moved on to work mostly with bone (beef, moose, and giraffe at present) though I still go back to tagua every now and again as well as dabble in abalone. I also recently got a deer antler that I'm excited to work with. I was originally inspired by Hawaiian bone hooks and still hold the Hawaiian influence in a lot of my work. I work from a fairly modest setup in my garage that consists of less than a half dozen machines. I love learning new techniques and finding new inspiration even if I don't spend as much time in my shop as I would like. Attached is my most recent completed piece. It is a Hawaiian manawa made from moose bone. I'm excited to share my work and get feedback. From what I've seen of this site so far, there are many talented artists who's opinions would mean a lot to me.

post-3775-0-01349500-1384462081.jpg

Hi Tom. Nice start. All the best for your journey.

Once small suggestion. I think your pendants would be better presented if you tidied up your cord a little. Maybe cut short the loose ends and burn them so the don't slip.

Cheers, Billy.

Archived