Greetings Everyone!

Jen W.

I am so happy to have found this site! The work to be found on here is amazing to say the least.

Last year, due to some major life changes, I ended up finally having the time to go to school for want vs. need education, and I have done pyrography for years, and thought it would be amazing to be able to actually learn and start to make some of the things I burn on all the time myself. I signed up for classes in woodworking, carving and turning, and kinda fell in love with the carving and turning.

It was frustrating though in many ways, but mostly because my interests tended towards smaller scale pieces, and truthfully, I think it made me a difficult student to teach, and made it extremely difficult to learn. And, while it may be true that the basics are the basics, there are things that are unique to "going small" that I couldn't really seem to find help with. Soooo...needless to say, I came out of it all with the basics, but absolutely no desire to ever build anything ever again. Ever. But, I do want to continue to burn and turn and carve....

I haven't done much carving in the past few months just due to being crazy busy with the burning and getting ready for a show, but now I have some inventory built up and am at a place where I have some time to really focus on some of the smaller carving I want to start.

So, here I am...

I have carved a couple small, simple things that I will post once I download one of the programs to resize everything...

Look forward to sharing and being a part of the community here!!

Welcome Jen!

I also carve wood (mostly), and have learned to use a lathe and am adamant about turning small things. There are times that I reach for a few of my carving tools to use at the lathe. I think that I could make tools dedicated for the lathe of the same style but with longer handles for a wee bit more control.

What part of the world are you in? I am in Minnesota, USA.

Janel

I'm in Colorado....I love the lathe. I think there is definitely a place for carving and lathe work to be combined. Thought it very odd that in my experience that there seems to be a wall in place that separates woodworking disciplines and styles. Not that they aren't ever combined, just that the combination seems to be limited to small accents often times. Ah well...I am sure that there is probably a reason for it, that I am sure I will find out as I progress and learn.

There is definitely a satisfaction that comes from taking a heavy turning tool and turning something exceptionally delicate and fine. I've never really thought about using carving tools on the lathe. I know that I have a couple turning tools with interchangeable handles...hmmmm interesting thought.

Hi Jen and welcome ... I have done turning and have done some carving on some of my turnings. Small turned boxes or lidded vessels turned out of tight grained wood worked well for me. Turning on a lathe was my joy for many years from the 60 s till 2005. Plates and small platters can give you a good place to do a relief carving ... Just look at some of the paintings on some plates simplify the pics and carve them. One interesting covered vessel I turned , and carved the with the top and side as one carving.

Don't be afraid to cross the lines, carving can and will work on turnings, boxes, and even furniture.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone :) I know for a fact that if I can picture it, it can be done...I close my eyes and see how it will work.

It's really awesome to hear from someone who has combined turning and carving in ways that stretch it.

I'm really looking forward to being able to get started on some fun stuff here soon...

Archived