Sign in to follow this  
MattyW

Creating Silhouettes For Coin Cutting

Hi how's it going? I have really admired several pieces of art I have found all over the internet. I cut coins as a hobby and sell them sometimes from word of mouth, but have given away most of them as gifts. I have a question I was hoping you guys and/or gals might be able to answer for me. I want to get more involved and create my own designs, so I am not doing exactly what the rest of the coin cutters are doing. I want to cut silhouettes in the coins, images I can create on Photoshop or find online. How can I put the silhouette design on the coin so I can cut it out? I have seen symbols, images of athletes or names written in cursive cut into the coins. I would really appreciate it if anyone had a suggestion for me.

I use a baking parchment/laser printer transfer directly onto the metal - gives nice thin, dark lines without having to cut through a "fuzzy edged" paper pattern (and getting fuzzier as you cut) - much more accurate. One word of warning - apparently Brother laser printers don't work for this.

Here's a link for a pretty simple tutorial on this method: http://www.engravers...Laser-Transfers

Except, where they talk about "Tom Whites solution, or some of the homebrew by Mike Cirelli," I just paint a light coat of unthinned Damar varnish (any art supply store) on the metal, and let it get tacky before burnishing the image onto the metal.

Don't forget that you must flip your image before printing (make a mirror-image), or your transfer will end up backwards on your coin. A little heat or blowing with compressed air will speed drying, and then the image is moderately bulletproof. Or go get a cup of coffee and procrastinate for a little while - my usual solution.

Also, don't touch the laser printer image on the baking parchment, you will wipe it right off. I print a row of the same image at a time, since I usually screw at least one up by either getting it positioned wrong, or my stubby fingers wipe the image off of the parchment before I get it onto the metal. A little lacquer thinner or paint thinner will remove the Damar varnish and/or a bad image transfer.

Good luck!

Tom

PS If you want to explore other transfer methods, then right there in The engraver's Cafe (link above, or here: http://www.engraverscafe.com), do a search for "transfer" and get more hits than you will care to peruse.

PPS Have you investigated Hobo Nickels? Same place.

PPPS Here's another engraving forum to look through: http://www.engravingforum.com

Thank you DanM and tsterling for pointing me out in the right direction. I have been consuming myself in reading up about parchment paper transfers with the laser printer. I am just getting all that more exited about giving it a try. I am going to try this today and see how it goes. I really appreciate tsterling for taking the time to explain this to me.