New Tools

Janel

From the GRS site.

GRS Positioning Vise

Especially made for Microscope Work

This unique vise has many Magnablock similarities and one huge difference: you can reposition its center of rotation. In the photo above, the upper part of the vise is off-center to the right. By pulling the release lever, you can slide the upper half back to the left until it is centered, or even further until it is off to the left. After moving, it will rotate about its new position.

Why is this important? Under a microscope, your work must stay in the field of view as you rotate the vise or you can’t see it. Using a traditional engraver’s block, this only happens when the work is near the center of the jaws. Often, this becomes an impossible limitation. The Positioning Vise lets you move the center of rotation by simply pulling a lever. In seconds, you can reposition your work to rotate within the microscope’s field of view.

Even without a microscope, there’s another big advantage. This vise weighs a massive 42 lbs. The extra weight and larger base provide even more stability.

Both those tools are mighty fine looking pieces of equipment! The work samples on the Lindsay Palm Engraver site are quite wonderful!

And Jim, I understand the Mac wish! I like my G5 20" iMac, which does get closer to the big screen, more than the eMac. One step at a time, when possible. An occasional problem is that I have to acquiesce to my son's game time wishes now and then, though he knows it is mine for work!

I often think about a better dust control unit, that vents the air outside, or with super filters. A sort of unit that would sit apart from the work area to keep the noise away from my ears, but would still have a collection opening that could be placed near the working area where the dusts are produced. . . and not cost very much money.

Then I would like a time producing machine, to make more time for carving...

B)

Jim, I hear you about the Mac..... did you hear about the NEW mac? dual core and quad core?

the little dual core runs at TWICE the speed of the big swinging dual 2.7 mac!! I want one!!

Don, I like that looks of that too... Maybe I should sell the gravermeister and upgrade to the Lindsay...

too bad this going to be a cheap xmas for us....

Rik

BTW: Randal's press finally came yesterday!! so I'm excited about trying it out.

Talked to Steve Lindsay tonight after visiting his site (thanx Don) and he's a really nice guy. Answered all my questions and gave me alot of things to think about. I even gave him a tip by accident, I asked it it would run on my airbrush Co2 tank he said that would be perfect and he had been searching for a bigger Co2 tank bigger than the paint ball tanks. He has 5 patents! too cool!!

Rik

Archived