First Time Engraving

Lachlan

I love expanding my skill set and trying new things, as such of late Ive been trying my hand at engraving on bone- the end for this will hopefully be an engraving symbolic of a crocodile on a large 12cm Australian crocodile tooth. Ive also been doing some reading around maori kowhaiwhai and whakairo and have been practising drawing these motifs for a while now and incorporated them into this design.

The engravings on this piece are symbolic of the turtle tracks that litter the beaches where I live at this time of the year. I chose this design to challenge myself in a number of ways- straight lines, spirals and symmetry- all elements I think that are hard to pull off. It is a bit messy but I got a lot better over the piece. I quickly learnt that its the line in the bottom of the engraving that gives the shape and depth and that it was much better to progressively get deeper.

Im happy with it as a first attempt!

post-2388-0-08238800-1391294269.jpg

That is a lovely abstraction, or depiction, of turtle tracks. My mind was transported briefly trying to imagine the turtles as they move, leaving their tracks behind. I appreciate your observations about the line quality. I look forward to seeing where you go from here.

Janel

Hi Lachlan,

Well as a first attempt that's really amazing.

Do you mind to share a picture of the tools you used? Is it the one you got from Steve Lindsay, that you were talking about in another thread?

Back to your carving, did you do a coloring after finishing your engraving? Looks to me like you would have used a tea stain of some sort...

Thanks for your answers and once again, congratulations....

Christophe

I did stain it with permanganate, though when I can get some peroxide Ill likely reverse it. It looks great without the stain, I was just trying to bring out the lines more for the photo. In real life one can see the lines as shadows quite easily, I need to take a better photo for my website so Ill try and get it all natural.

Here are the gravers

post-2388-0-51658400-1391379369.jpg

Close up of the faces (knife, 120 and 90)

post-2388-0-64482700-1391379477.jpg

I thought I would use the knife almost exclusively but I found that the depth didnt matter so much as the width and like I said before the straightness of the line in the bottom of the engraving. I mostly used the 90 but found the 120 was good for flaring around corners- much to learn!

I also used a microscope and good desk lamp.

Thanks Bella, you're too kind! It looks great without the stain when one can appreciate the 3D nature of the engravings, just need a better camera and some good light to get a photo :) Im hoping I can get this sort of depth and clarity of line one day- this piece is by Rangi Kipa

post-2388-0-54186100-1391550836.jpg

Thanks for the gravers picture Lachlan.

Don't forget to put another picture if you get the stain away

For the Lindsay graver...it is not so pricey, but with shipping taxes to Europe and then the custom....well, I don't know if I am ready to bite the bullet....

Btw, do you think that a round blank could be used in lindsay template?!

I've been checking Lindsay engraving site and looked at the template...well, I'll try to brainstorm about making one myself, I'll just have to spend some times remembering geometry and such...

IF, I'll find a way to make one which is decent, I'll post it here...but, probably not as easy as it seems, but I'll try, at least if If have to bite the bullet, I'll know why

And one last thing...I knew this piece by Rangi Kipa but everytime I see is work, it is absolutely stunning.

I'm dreaming about Rangi posting a tutorial here....dreams dreams dreams ;)

Yeah you can use a round piece but alignment in the template for honing the piece after the initial sharpening would be difficult. I bought a round piece of tungsten carbide rod to try in it. I was hesitant at the price but its definitely worth it if you are going to be doing lots. You have put a lot of work into your gravers as they are, try them first and see if you require anything else!

Rangi posted some work on here once but hasnt really been back. Most of his lines in that piece are flawless and the engraving is very deep giving good contrast without the need to stain. Id say he used a combination of hand graver work and fine carbide burr work.

The great thing about carving pattens is they are viewed as a whole, therefore mistakes seem to disappear into the pattern.

Well Done Mate I know a Very Good Brother over there goes by the name Rob he forges knives and he posted a heck of a crock on a river bank it was about 14 footer and a head like a truck had it mouth open too so ya could see it teeth they looked like his hands and he is no lil fellow at 6'4" .... No I am not mocking you I am from Tennessee and Yes this is how I talk . any how dagum awesome good carving on that tooth I wish we had gators / crocks round here they taste real good on the grill and deep fried my FIL is in Florida so we do get to get a gator every year ( not a big one though) it is good eaten you keep carven and have an awesome day mate God Bless and Best Regards

Archived