Sign in to follow this  
robert weinstock

pen knife

What a wonderful knife! My pocket has a place for that one! I really like the carved addition to the top edge of the blade and the handle. How long is it folded and opened?

Janel

Robert,

The chasing and engraving on the pocket knife are wonderful.

Could you give us some information on die carving in steel? Since it is a die everything must be carved in reverse. That must be add to the difficulty.

Janel,

I would like to thank you a the other administrators of this site for sharing your knowledge and bringing such a group artists together. I know it will greatly improve the quality of my work.

Dick

You are welcome Dick,

It is lots of fun for me to be reading the excellent contributions! After years of feeling isolated from artists/peers, this forum (and email friendships from the past years) helps to connect myself with others who are thinking and working and growing with their work. The years of email friendships with other carvers pushed me towards considering the creation of this forum. Don Fogg and Jim Kelso shared that feeling as well, and now we have a place to gather in a larger meeting place. This I hope will also be a place where the true beginners will have exposure to the great skills this group has to offer.

Janel

OK Robert. Dick said something "Since it is a die everything must be carved in reverse." that makes me realize that I do not know or understand what a "die" is, the why and how of it as well. I am such an uninformed artist (I may have a sense of what it is, but the words describing the picture in my head are vague and inaccurate).

Are you willing to help inform me?

Janel