Oak Savanna Sentinel

Janel

507-1w.jpg

Oak Savanna Sentinel

507-3w.jpg

I am asked sometimes if it is hard to let a piece go. Sometimes it is. This is one of them, but I know where it is going and I will be able to see it now and then. I am very thankful for that.

This piece is about six inches tall, made from boxwood. For the first time, I have used clear acrylic for the eyes. I painstakingly removed the excess finish from each little nook and cranny.

Here are examples of leaving the branches, burly bits and buds as part of the "tree" that the frog sits in.

507-5w.jpg

I have looked at this piece several times now. I love everything about it. The frog posture is so typical and due to the smoothness of the finish is almost abstract against the tree. The eyes also fascinate me and draw you in.

The branch is just wonderful and I bet was an absolute joy to work on. The details and textures are something to get lost in. There are just so many subtle elements from top to bottom. Really wonderful and a wonder to look at. Great work Janel and thanks for posting it.

Mark

Thank you all for your many thoughtful comments. I have enjoyed having this piece by my bench since its completion. It is now in its wooden box, ready to be packed and shipped. I miss it. Some pieces are harder to part with than others are.

Janel

Hi Janel,

Woaw, you've really mastered all the effects of photoshop, but I guess the hardest was to get the frog still for the picture.....lol

Just kidding, I looked at this piece wondering when the frog would jump.

I've always been impressed by your work, but this time...I don't know probably the smoothness of the finish on the frog, I'm in complete awe.

As for the rest of the piece....well, Bravo.

When I see this kind of work, I'm always wondering what the archeologist will think about it when they will discover it in lets say 2000years.....or more.

Thank's for sharing

Christophe

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived