Hie Matau/twist - Arahura Jade (Nephrite)

John Kerwin

Made by myself a few years ago, I guess this would count as a significant piece for me.

It has soft and hard parts to the stone, as I have used some of the rind, to display it's awesome color range. It is also in part chatoyant, this is soft working along the grain and hard across it. These variations in hardness made it tricky to carve, and an absolute pain in the butt to polish. I worked on it for many, many hours trying every technique I could think of or research. I got there finally by using several polishing methods on different parts, all hand rubbing with various products. Along the grain here, across there, little circles elsewhere - 1200# metal bond strip - 600# paste on leather, wood and canvas. I only got it finished as I am too stubborn and dumb to know when I'm beaten.

Was it worth it -probably not if you only count the financial return, I did ask, and get a very good price for it but it would only be a few cents an hour. The real return was in the privilege of being able to work on such a stunning piece of stone, the pride in having made what was seemingly impossible work out well, and the learning I gained from making it.

post-3863-0-17735500-1397910157.jpg

Thank you for describing the challenges to working this particular piece of stone. I appreciate learning the complexities of working such a difficult material. I enjoy the dynamic and lively design and the beauty of the colors of the stone.

Janel

Thanks Janel and Baz. I forgot to mention the abrasive sticks made by Ceraton in Japan, these were also helpful in the finishing work. Another little part of the job that anyone who has made a twist like this will appreciate - is that having those pointed parts hanging down, means there is much less access available to work on the crossover internals.

Archived