Intro From Nebraska

David Armstrong

New guy again, seems like this has been going on forever. I am 71 years young and being paid not to work for the last 20 years due to downsizing where I worked. My art background was a long time ago starting with all the "How to Draw" books from the 50s, my mother was somewhat obsessed. Then the regulation art classes in school finally some art and art history in Junior College where I learned be a critic of art, politics, poetry, literature, and a lot of other stuff that has taken over 50 years to work thru.

I the last year I have developed an interest in beads mostly trade beads and in prayer beads. My first Mala was put together using beads I found in Arizona. In studying beads found that many of the early beads were made of stone. This was when I first saw the art of the Shona and their stone pendants and fell in love. Most of my work looks like the Tiki Gods that I carved from my Grandmothers palm fronds as a kid but sometimes something happens that I am proud of. I try to let the stone show me what to carve. I am still learning to use the flex shaft and the burrs that came with it. My current meditation beads are strung on a stretch line to wear on the wrist.

I will put up pictures when my grandson comes to lend tech support.

Thanks for the welcome Tony

I am working stone now but may try bone later I like what you have posted look forward to your thoughts about my work. Looking the pictures have taken so far even I can't tell what they are. I may need to locate a 4 year old for tech support. There is a song by Antsy McClain "Even a Smart Phone Can't Fix Stupid" that fits me quite well.

Thanks for the welcome David

I wish that I had your understanding of stone. I am drawn to the rock carving from a need to leave something long lasting behind. At this point I am trying to create something that will assist someone with meditation along the tradition of prayer beads. Since it took me several days to post my picture not sure when I will be able to post my work.

I also have a love of knives and find your work fascinating. I have a buck knife that is calling for some stone. Dave

Thanks for the welcome.

Just came up in my mind, sculpture is like a family, carving is just a member of the family. Sculpture could be made by casting, welding...., Carving is referring to an object is made by carving, which means material is taken away.

That is how I see it.

Yloh

I like your take on sculpture vs carving. Dave

Archived