Buying Wet Stones

Dan

im planing to buy a quality wet stone set was going to get a full set of stones 220-8000 but i can buy the half stones like 4000/8000 for 125.00 or I can buy 4 individual stones for 200. My question is will the half stones wear out too fast or would I be better off buying the full stones. I also use a stropping wheel in my drill to hone my tools so can I skip a stone like 8000?this is a a set up that will have to fit in a small shop so when not in use will be stored on a shelf. so if you have any good portable pond set up let me know.

Hi Dan,

Have a look at Lee Valley - You will pay a pretty penny but they have some of the best tools around. They have a nice pond setup in the sharpening section.

I would suggest you could skip the 8000 stone but really thats up to you. The higher grit stones don't wear very fast if you have done the other stages correctly.

Tom

I decided to get a slow speed grinder with some cools wheels that way I can sharpen both my carving tools and my turning tools. My current grinder has lots of vibrations and it over heats my steel far to easily. Then I hone the steel on a paper wheel and finally take the burr of with a loose felt disk which I have done for the past year but that does not work as well when I have a nick in the edge. That is why I was looking for a way to sharpen my steel to remove the chips on the blade.

Archived