Sign in to follow this  
Mike J

Hi All

Hi Guys,

I am new to here and am mainly looking for advise on what sort of tools to use and to just read and admire all of your fantastic work. I am extremely fresh to carving and have only just started my first bone piece which I will attach. I am waiting for my files to be delivered so I can start the final shaping as I think I have already accidentally removed to much material. Any advise anyone would have would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Mike J

post-3900-0-40149400-1407152882.jpg

Mike

I am new also but have found thru the search lots of information. I suggest you begin with the basic safety tools. Try to control the noise, dust, fumes and flying objects to minimize injury. The more carve the more I progress. Dave

Hi Mike,

I have found that the tools I use on wood work well with bone. I was surprised at that, but should not have been. The tools designed by Stephen Myhre were designed primarily for working bone, and that the three-edged style of tool is at the core of my tool set. Here is a peek at my tools: http://www.janeljaco.../tools2012.html

Use the SEARCH feature at the upper right corner of the window to find references to "Myhre" or "tools" and you should begin a reading journey that might answer some of your questions, and lead you further on your information quest. Please do ask questions when you have them.

In the Tools forum area there is a pinned topic at the top of the queue about tool making. There may be more posts than are mentioned there, but it is another starting point for you.

It is important to keep your tools well sharpened. It will be very good to learn the difference between the tools that are sharpest in use vs. when the tools become dull.

Janel

Hi Mike. I'm sure we'll be chatting a lot in the future. But for starters, a quick hint would be to buy a lot of sandpaper. For beefbone I would get 100, 300, 600 grits. Also look at gravers. These two things are the best for shaping in the final stages. A handpiece and files are for roughing out and general shaping. Most of the time you can use a jeweller's coping saw for the initial shaping. A wise Thai carver was once asked how he carved such beautiful elephants. He replied. 'it's simple, you just remove everything that isn't elephant'. Same principals apply here. But you must take your time and be careful, because if you take too much away, you won't have an elephant. ;)

Thanks for the advice everyone I will be doing just that. Sandpaper...check, graver......next on the list.

Cheers

Mike J