My Month In Jade

Tom A.

Hi Everyone,

I am participating this year in the World Jade Symposium and since I have little experience with Jade I needed to practice! The attached pieces are what I have managed to create in the past month.

I continue to struggle with the polish on all these pieces. Although its getting better with each piece - I am chasing the "water wet" look but continue to fall short.

I carve/create in a bit of a bubble and would appreciate any constructive criticism on what you see.

There are only two types of Jade represented here. Dease Creek (spoon & 5 rings) & Yukon (two rings, ring on finger & knife)

Thanks

Tom

post-2995-0-43820100-1407501280.jpg

post-2995-0-27026700-1407501291.jpg

post-2995-0-25414300-1407501306.jpg

post-2995-0-42666300-1407501322.jpg

post-2995-0-80459500-1407501339.jpg

Yeah mate looks good. The rings and knife look great, the spoon is a bit wonky but the design is great. I get orange peel everytime unless I prepolish with dry 600 or 1200 grit silicon carbide sandpaper. As soon as I add water the high and low spots appear again. I havent tried with dry 1200 diamond sandpaper but thats how Donn Salt does the prepolish. I got from stones @ 1200 or diamond sandpaper @600 to 600 or 1200 silicon carbide. Takes a while and use a handlense to look at the surface and keep sanding till there is no holes. From there I polish from 3000 up with diamond, again look at every stage for scratches and keep going till they are gone. I do that till 50000-100000. If you still get orange peel then go back to the 600/1200 and keep sanding.

Look forward to seeing your symposium piece :)

Thanks Bruce - Those are new for me and I really enjoyed making them so I imagine I will have quite a few more coming!! Lots of possibilities with the rings.

Lachlan - I really appreciate your advice. I will need to pick up some diamond paper. I have tried dry 600 SC but it loads so fast and becomes useless within a few strokes, might be the quality of paper though. I am using hard felt to do all the polish and I have read on Mr. Lopaki's page that wood is also a good backer but I will need to make those myself sometime.

What are your thoughts on the diamond grit? Alone or with oil or petroleum jelly to carry the grit?

Thanks again.

Tom

Tom the loading on the silicon carbide paper is what you want, sounds stupid but the jade dust works to polish the jade itself. Or at least thats what Ive found. Doesnt matter what I do if I use a expandable arbor with 1200 grit wet then polish it orange peels, if I use 1200 grit stones and then got to polish it orange peels, if I use 1200 grit diamond on felt or cotton it orange peels. There is something about how the loading on the sandpaper manages to flatten the piece and give a great prepolish. Even if I take the prepolish to the wheel wet with 1200 grit it will go back to orange peel. There is something about it being less aggressive and only taking the high points down. Would be worth trying the 1200 diamond if you have time to spare also.

*note I go 220, 400, 600 ,1200 then silicon carbide paper, if you try to jump to it im not sure it would work very well.

I use diamond grit on felt and cotton wheels, pieces of cloth to get inside loops etc, and pieces of wood shaped to do tight spaces. I buy my grit in syringes mixed with an oil base.

So yeah try some wet dry 600 silicon carbide and let it load and just work on the one little bit of an area and compare that to whats next to it. Apparently some polishing agents like ZAM and fabulusture will also load the jade and polish but Im yet to try them.

Thanks Again!

My Jewellery entry for the WJS is all shaped and sitting on the bench. I set it aside because it needs to have a perfect polish. I will be giving this a try asap and let you know how it works out.

Tom

Very nice work Tom, jade can be a bugger to polish, a lots of commercial NZ carvers leave it at satin finish on 600 or 1200 carbide. The old trick before diamond become popular was to dry sand with worn 600 to get a nice polish.

The advice Lachlan gave is very good and I would agree with all he said. Every piece of jade is different so it may be worth experimenting on a off cut before polishing your entry. I take it 1200 carbide, then to 3000 carbide by hand then to diamond on small leather wheels, if that orange peels I go back to 1200 and then had polish with 14k, 50k and 100k diamond on leather, takes a long time but gets round the orange peel. Then again some jade just wants to orange peel.

david

Hi David,

I have only had a small opportunity to give it a try - left the home shop for a couple of weeks to end the summer.

I really appreciate you guys providing some insight on this. I'm constantly trying new things and its getting better as we go.

I will report back as soon as I've given the dry 600/1200 a fair shot.

Thanks

Tom

Archived