Some More Progress

Mike J

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to show some more progress and hopefully get some feedback this time. I had some more detailed swirls in the piece but lost them in the sanding process in the vice which has definitely taught me some lessons. Hope you all like it and Janel I have done my best to resize the photos so I hope it has worked.

Cheers All

Mike Jpost-3900-0-60171600-1409310057.jpgpost-3900-0-97231500-1409310082.jpg

Hi Mike,

Thank you for trying. If you use webresizer.com, on the webresizer.com/resizer/ page:

- Crop background that is not subject, which will result in the subject filling the frame better, making the subject larger.

- The dimensions can be set by using New Size: naming the width or height in the box. With the suggested sizing being 640 x 480 the dimensions will be controlled.

- Image Quality will resize the file size, or the amount of memory of the file. The lower the number, the lower the file size. Try 50 % and see if the image is clear without being pixelated. If it is, raise the number. With repeated uses, you will get a sense of how your images work with this resizer, and whether or not you can reduce the file size even more.

Thank you for taking the time to figure this out, and thanks to every one else who also makes the effort to resize images before posting on the forum.

Janel

Hi Dave,

It's a metal vice but I soften it with some pine between the clamps. Just while I'm sanding as I have no other way to hold the piece still. Hi Janel, would I still be able to do that with files? Or are you talking about gravers to finish the fine work. I haven't been able to get hold of or make my own yet as am limited in budget and tools. Appreciate the advice.

The piece came out very good If you hadn't said anything I would not have noticed the break. The finish work is hard to do. I was completing a piece last week and lost a major portion of the nose due to a crack in the stone.

I did a search for carving vices (and vises) lots of information out there I also see where some bone carvers use leather bags stuffed with rice or sand to hold their work.

Nice work, try gravers after all but the last polishing is done. I see some small gaps in the lashing over the bone, where you can spot the bone. I try to avoid this by pushing the lashingcord together tight with a little non-sharp device as a smoothened screwdriver or even a toothpick. I must say i like it. a lovely piece.

Hi Stephan,

Yeah I think I tapered the top of the piece under the lashing too high and it kind of bunches up a little showing bone. Lesson learned for next time. thanks for the feedback and I am still trying to source some gravers in Adelaide but having some trouble. Really want some to make the next step in my carving.

Cheers

Mike J

Archived