want a Japanese polishing brush?

Jim Kelso

For those doing metalwork, I'm going to be ordering some of the Japanese migaki-bake(horsehair brushes).

You can see my spiel here

Hi Jim,

That sounds interesting. Do you use that brush, before patination, after you pickle the pieces?

By the way, I've solved the problem with the "Adobe Reader". Thanks

Best Regards, dagistanli

For those of us not in the USA but with access to a small and very hairy pony can I proffer the following.

Get a pair of sharp scissors and sneak round it's back end ,

post-153-1132499064.jpg :o

Cut off an 8" length whilst bribing with a bit of hay. and make your escape.

post-153-1132499261.jpg :(

Wash it and bind it with butchers string.

post-153-1132499366.jpg

The white one underneath is a glass fibre brush I bought from Cooksons which is obviously based on the same principle (about $5) .

If any one else wants one it will be ready in about a year ,two years if you want thicker!

For those of you who worry we cut off the end of her tail or else it drags in the mud in the winter <_<

Tim.

Guest ford hallam

Excellent Tim,

self-sufficiency! an alternative source and one that yeilds a lot more tail, although not for the squeemish, is the knackers yard :blink: , also known as the abattoir.

I made up a good stock that way when I used to live in Cornwall, about 9 years ago.

Funny thing was, on the day I went there was a dolphin there as well, apparently washed ashore, poor thing. So, if anybody has a use for a dolphin skin send me a PM ;)

cheers, Ford

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
For those doing metalwork, I'm going to be ordering some of the Japanese migaki-bake(horsehair brushes).

You can see my spiel here

Just buy a whole salted hoirsetail -- black goes for about 10 to 20 bucks, the white is double, they are full tails and very long, you can probably get a bunch of the brushes out of one -- I wrap them with the waxed nylon, the wax holds them up nicely -- you can get all of that from Crazy Crow in Texas, an Indian Craft supplier, or Moscow Hide and Fur in Washington state ---- http://www.hideandfur.com/ ---- http://www.crazycrow.com/Merchant2/merchan...ode=555-100-000 --- buying a bundle of the cheap black hair for 2 bucks or the thick bunch for 15 is what I do -- the trick is to wrap it so it supports itself -- -- Ellen

I was considering getting my own from Japan through contacts, but I use these so much and they are so expensive I decided to go ahead and make them. I think I can get the hair for free, but even buying it, the brushes can be less than a $1 a piece. It will be nice to control the brush size and stiffness regardless.

I will post pic my home made brushes of course :D

Thanks though to Jim for the public offer.

Patrick

Hmmm.... I suspect not so well. The brushing action is quite vigorous. I guess the horse is somewhere between yours and boar bristles for stiffness. :D

Here is another link for horsehair mentioned by Dan Fronefield at the Bladesmiths' Forum:

M&M Horsehair I'll bet they can offer info as to relative stiffness, etc.

Sorry Patrick, I misunderstood.

Anybody wanting to make thier own polishing brushes might try a good flyfishing shop. Most will sell a large assortment of hair and furs.. horse, moose, deer and calf tails that flyfishers use to make thier flies. :)

• 4 months later...
Would human hair work? I have a few lengths of my own long hair from my various excursions into the long hair years of my younger years. I used to be able to sit on it, before cutting it off for a trip through the short hair years.

Janel

Have you thought of having it braided for jewelry use?

A young woman actually offered to braid something from some long strands when she saw the long hair, which she did after I collected some for her. I am not a jewelry sort of person, so such things would not be something done for myself. It is curiously interesting work.

• 3 months later...

Lorenzo,

How are you doing - email me.

Are you selling those - I will buy one - I have had no luck with what I have been useing. Teflon is good for alot of things but cleaning and polishing all in the same move is not one of them. They do look very good - do they work well for you?

Love,

Debbie

Archived