Some Recent Carvings

Yuri

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Yuri,

How big are the round pieces? The texture of the fabric beneath makes me think that these are smaller than at first appearance. Are the bone discs a single piece-front and back, or are they inlaid into the wood frame? My first thought was that they are kagami-buta style netsuke, but there are holes near the edge for hanging, so they are not kagami-buta.

I do enjoy seeing your ideas carved so skillfully in bone. Thank you for continuing to share your work with the forum.

Janel

The round pieces are about 35mm or so round. (can't measure them any more, they are gone.) The frame is buffalo horn, and the bone is inlaid into it. The back is all black.

The round ones are done on the lathe to start with, and the carving is done mostly by Dremel, finished by small scrapers.

If you mean some kind of varnish or similar, no. On these ones the polishing has been done by a polishing compound on a fast cloth wheel. I don't use that on everything, for some work I prefer going to fine sandpapers, but no actual polish. However, not for everything. (Laziness... Yu can get away with something like P320 and then the polish. But the result is different.)

Archived