World Jade Symposium - My Finished Entry For The Jewellery Catagory

Tom A.

I wanted to share with you my entry for the WJS - Jewellery Category! This is the finished piece.

Its a Hair Pick with a chain link dangle - approx 8" long mounted on a piece of Obsidian (the wood doesn't count).

I'm pretty happy with the finish - Thanks Lachlan!!

You can see video and more pics of the progression on my FB page. Now off to finish my sculpture piece - running out of time pretty quick!!!!

Thanks

Tom

post-2995-0-76817300-1412770456.jpeg

Tom,

Very nice piece of lapidary work, knowing this type of material I am sure it was quite challenging. I forgot that the entries needed to be in a the start of the month, I will have to go see if they have posted images of all the pieces.

All my best ............. Danny

Thanks Danny! I appreciate the feedback! This one certainly took me out of my comfort zone! But I learned quite a bit so very successful already.

The entry's don't have to be complete until the end of October - I am trying to get a piece into each category. This is my Jewellery entry now I need to finish my sculpture - rapidly running out of time!!

I have posted on Facebook (Tom Argue - Custom Creations) a series of video for the the process I used to create this piece with my rambling thoughts to go with!!

Thanks

Tom

Tom,

I went and checked and saw that the entries weren't closed, I thought they closed the first. I have people tell me all of the time to look at their facebook page. I have never become involved in social media was leery of it when my space first started.

Post an image when you get the next piece finished it will be nice to see it.

I was going to do something for this years event but decided early on I have too many things going on to start another, perhaps next year. I have quite a stash of Burmese jadeite and really should do something with the best of it.

I belong to a bead forum and someone posted this link. If you want to see the best of the best when it comes to Jadeite check this out. I got to go to a preview at this annual Sothebys auction in 1987 and at that time I saw a strand of Jadeite beads that sold for in excess of one million dollars. I would guess this same strand is up to 6 to 10 million now. It was amazing but not quite as amazing as these beads that sold in April of this year for 27.44 million or 1 million each.

The Barbara Hutton-Mdivani Cartier Jade Necklace that sold April 7th, 2014 at Sotheby’s Hong Kong for $27.44 million to the Cartier Museum Collection was found hidden under her bed.

http://www.jewelsdujour.com/2014/04/clive-kandel-reveals-the-true-story-of-the-hutton-mdivani-cartier-jadeite-necklace/

All my best ........... Danny

Thanks Lachlan!!! The base just about went across the room a few times.. I had a much tougher time getting the finish on that than I did on the Jade!

Thanks for the Link Danny. Great story and although not to my personal taste the necklace looks like a fine piece of craftmanship. I really enjoy stone with a bit of character to them - one of the reasons I picked the Dease Creek Jade. The inclusions where hard to sort out but I think they add so much to the piece.

Tom

Archived