A Couple Of New Knife Handles

Yuri

The usual by now horse metatarsuses. With buffalo horn bits. I have an order for a few of these, and the maker gave me total freedom as to what I carve, as long as it's more-or-less European traditional design. The dog one is based on a German walnut gunstock, 17th c., and the other one on a Russian powder-horn (actually, morse ivory), 18th c.

post-2194-0-49549600-1413173062.jpg

post-2194-0-70600100-1413173071.jpg

post-2194-0-03623000-1413173079.jpg

post-2194-0-06327300-1413173086.jpg

Oh, and the stain. Well, I rubbed the handle, once completed, with steel wool. Didn't realise that the side I used was a bit rusty. Then tried to remove the stain, and try as I might, couldn't. So I left it on. (I actually like it, but wanted to remove so it doesn't just fade away shortly, leaving the buyer a bit dissatisfied.)

My guess is that iron oxide will be a permanent coloring, being a metal/mineral rather than an organic/vegetable colorant. Only a guess. Have you ever seen rust stains fade?

I have removed rust stains from my porcelain basins and bathtub with an oxalic acid scrubbing powder. There are other caustic materials that will remove rust as well from the porcelain surfaces. I have no guesses how any would work with bone.

Let us know what you decide to do if you try to change or remove the stain and how it works out?

Janel

Archived