Engravers And Knifemakers At The New Arts In Metal Show In Stresa Italy

Barry Lee Hands

I recently attended the all new Arts in Metal show in the beautiuful lakeside town of Stresa, Italy.

10022014260.jpg

It was a great event attended by some of the best knifemakers and most trend setting collectors in the world.

S R Johnson was an invited maker, and he asked me to collaborate on this piece with him:

"La Divina Proporzione"

07-Steve-Johnson.jpg

Here is a link to the rest of the knives and makers:

http://artsinmetal.com/?p=23

The location, the Regina Palace Hotel , on the shores of Lake Maggiore,is in the centre of Stresa and faces the Borromean Islands. This hotel represents a fine example of prestige both in the hotel world and historically speaking. The four-star Regina Palace hotel opened in 1908, and still preserves its Art Nouveau period decoration.The unique combination of charm and modernity will render a stay in one of the 214 rooms or suites – all furnished with period pieces and equipped with every facility – totally unforgettable.

It had an AWESOME pool area.

A view from the rooms:

117.jpg

One of the major attractions of the Lake Maggiore/ Stresa area is the Isola Bella, an Island with a palace, a group of the collectors and exhibitors went together on a day tour, to see the sights of the island.

The boatride from the Hotel to Isola Bella,

10022014275.jpg

The entrance hall (mudroom) of the Borromeo palace on the island:

193-1.jpg

The Fracassi family enjoying the tapestry hall:

258-1.jpg

Saddle silver Italian style:

231.jpg

233.jpg

A very ornate table:

224.jpg

Looks like a great spot to wet a line:

214-1.jpg

Thank you. . .

Yes, there was a lot of great socializing going on, there was an outdoor reception with drinks and hor'doeuvres the first night which many makers and collectors attended.

Here are some pics:

Rick Appleton the maker and Daisy, the collector:

154.jpg

My friend Dan with Michael Walker

143.jpg

myself with the Facassis

126.jpg

Ed with Yoshindo Yoshihara and friends

151-1.jpg

SR Johnson and friends, including an artist who sculpts ivory

311.jpg

321.jpg