resin bowls?

Rik Palm

I have a couple of questions about holding small parts.

Does anyone use the Jetset from Riogrande?

also doesn anyone use one on their engraving ball vice?

I have project that needs something like this so I can engrave a fragile part.

Rik

Hello Rick,

Have you tried seal wax to hold your work? I use it, and for fragile work, I usually heat the wax and stick it in, and use denatured alcohol to pull the the work off.

Best Regards,

dagistanli

I use a GRS engravers' ball(the big one) and pitch from Northwest Pitchworks. Some people object to pitch and find it difficult to work. This is true for most pitch that you would buy from a jewelers' supply, but I find the NW pitch works very well. Like anything, it will take some getting used to, but is very useful for simple holding or forging into when soft. I use the "medium" grade. To get work out, melt the pitch away from the piece, put it in the freezer for a few minutes, give it a few taps with a plastic mallet and it should pop right out.

Here's my set-up. I just use a hardware propane torch for heating.

Northwest Pitchworks

post-4-1132279590.jpg

post-4-1132279837.jpg

the flake shellac melted to a piece of wood and then held in your ball vise would probably work. it depends on what tools and how much pressure is used. i alos like the medium northwest pitchworks pitch for most holding applications. but if you get real serious the pitch from Dharamsala Northern India is far more useful for forming than the Northwest pitch.

thanx for the info,

I'm going to engrave a small thin domed piece and couldn't think of a way to hold it. I went back and looked at the thread of "how to hold small items" and I could solder a handle on it and remove it later but if I wanted to hammer some texture in...

I like you setup Jim, did you make that tray?

Rik

It's a GRS item.

I often use that technique of soldering a small piece that needs to be engraved onto a larger rod or chunk of metal. Works really well.

For a small, thin dome, I definitely think pitch would be great. I don't have experience with Jetset, but the basic idea is the same as pitch, I think.

• 2 months later...

Along this same line of thought. Has any body had any experience with THERMO LOC from GRS??

It seems to be a re-usable product. If it works easily and will last indefinately. It might be worth the higher price they are asking for it.

Something like this, would be ideal for buckles. All of my buckles are domed and a little hard to dimple and background.

Thanks for any comments.

Chuck

Archived