World Jade Symposium Finished Piece

Lachlan

Thats Janel and Daniel, your positive comments mean a lot to me. The phrase "make it or break it" came to me several times Janel.

This is one of the first pieces I feel is actually finished, I normally reach some sort of compromise between time to finish how I want and $ value added.

I polished this to 100000 grit and it really shone, but didnt look as good as it did at 3000 satin so I sanded it back haha. Polished and sanded back the inlaid piece 2 times before settling on the satin finish.

Funnily I can appreciate what Ive done better when Im looking at the photos then when Im looking at the piece in person- spent too long staring at it haha.

From the glimpses of pieces Ive seen on facebook the level of this years workmanship greatly exceeds that of the last symposium! Can wait to see the other pieces finished either!

Hi Lachlan,

I understand about the decisions about full gloss and satin surfaces. Sometimes the gloss becomes all about itself if everything is not perfect at the surface of the material, in that it shows off all irregularities whether scratches or irregularities where a smooth surface was intended. An overall gloss can distract from carved elements (in my work), whereas a gloss on high areas combined with less gloss in contrast elsewhere, can be an enhancement. I am glad that you chose to pursue what was best for the jades in this piece, even if it took extra time.

Janel

Yeah Im still getting my head around how gloss effects a piece. I think you've nailed it though the gloss detracted from the crossovers, and didnt give a good texture to the overall piece especially with the way it plays with light. The inside of the crossovers is gloss.

WOW! what a beautiful piece.

When it come to what level of polish is best, every one has a different idea. Early in my gem carving career, I was showing my work when one goldsmith said" these would be nice if I had would finish polishing them". A little later a goldsmith looked at them and said "why do you guys always over polish your carvings"

Ken

Archived