Hello From Egypt

Ezz El Sherbiny

HI all,

My name is Ezz and I'm from Alexandria - Egypt and and I'm 60 years old. I.m a geologist by profession and through a 36 year long career in geology I've worked in several parts of the world, including the UK where I lived for a few years working offshore the North Sea. I've been collecting art since the late seventies. On top of that I've always been reasonably good with my hands.

My passion for small scale carvings was ignited when I first saw a collection of Netsuke in the V&A museum in London in the early eighties. As soon as I returned on a vacation to Egypt I tried my hand in ivory carving (ivory was still legal there and then) after acquiring a modest supply of ivory and tortoise shell - hope this does not offend you - and started making small scale ivory and wood figures with shell / coral / horn inlaid eyes.

Delighted to be part of this fine group.

Sincere regards

Ezz El Sherbiny

post-3934-0-43312700-1415360208.jpg

Ezz,

Welcome to the forum. I am not offended regarding the use of ivory or tortoise shell. I have some old ivory and quite a bit of tortoise shell and know that if I were to put it on display in finished product I may find myself in trouble. To me this is crazy as the material has been around since prior to all of the bans, I cannot prove this and even if I could I would still encounter problems if I were to try and sell product made with it ............. Crazy world we live in!!

A wonderful carving please continue to post.

All my best ...... Danny

• 1 year later...

Archived