Stagg sculptures finished

Dick Bonham

Hi,

Sorry I haven't posted for a while but I was in San Francisco then D.C. I then had to finish these portraits and have them inspected and approved by several different people and committees. I then had to very carefully drive them to the foundry (sweating smiley) . I didn't want to say who they were untill everything was approved. They are Amos Alonzo Stagg Sr. and Jr. Amos Alonzo Stagg Sr. was born in 1862 and died in 1965. He coached football well into his nineties and won over 300 games. He is in the football hall of fame. He co-coached with his son at Susquehanna in the late 40's and early 50's. The portraits will be cast in bronze and weigh about 400 pounds each. Now that these pieces are at the foundry I am going to start working on some kagami netsuke with ojime using mixed metals. I haven't decided on the material for the bowls. Are they ever created out of metal? what would be a good material to use? These will be my first netsuke's. I have been inspired by all of the great artist's on TCP.

Dick

post-15-1132342531.jpg

post-15-1132342567.jpg

post-15-1132342699.jpg

post-15-1132342712.jpg

Guest ford hallam

Hi Dick,

Kagamibuta do occasionaly have metal bowls, naturally you need to make them as light as possible. I`ll see If I can find some photo`s showing the raising of a silver bowl, one I made some years ago.

The most commonly encountered materials are ivory, wood and antler. I think however that any material that would serve the purpose could be used. Ultimately it must come down to your own aesthetic judgement while being mindful of the spirit of the artform. IM(not so)HO. <_<

regards, Ford

Guest ford hallam

Cheers Jim,

i`ve actually got some photos showing a few of the steps in the creation of that bowl, if only I can find them, they predate digital so are in a box somewhere <_<

ford, ( scratching head smiley )

Thank you Jim and Ford,

The rabbit is great. I like the texture on the left side. I would also very much like to see the photos on raising the bowl. The bronzes will take about six months to cast. I will post pictures of the whole process as it moves along. They will be cast in pieces using ceramic shell. The biggest piece that I have done was a husky the size of a small pony that was cast with investment in one piece. A six hundred pound pour using two crucibles.

Dick

post-15-1132367035.jpg

Archived