new knife

robert weinstock

post-22-1132851422.jpgpost-22-1132851452.jpgWell, here's a recent peice. It's steel I made at Ed Schempp's, and had Ric Furrer help out with, but the knife is all mine.

Hi Robert,

That is a beautiful knife! I don't know much about knives, as there are experts here, but the carvings on the knife are well done, I can only apreciate that. What I would like to know is: Where did you get the ornaments on the knife? They look superb, and did you carve them by the use of an air chasing type graver or by hand with a hammer or a push graver?

Best regards, and wish you a very plesant THANKSGIVING,

dagistanli

Hi everyone. Thanks for the copliments. Greg, I didn't know knives had gender. I'll have to remember that when I name them as I occaisionally do.

Dagistsanli, the ornament is pretty much my interpretation of classic European ornament. I've studied it for many years, and usually come up with some incarnation of it. I use a reciprocating handpeice for roughing out heavy cuts, and then go to hand gravers from there. The surface it chased with a hammer and punches. That's the finish you see.

Hi Doug, That could be the one I had partly finished when you were here.

Hi Bob, I remember the numerous pins on the skeleton of the blade and handle, but not the shape of the finished piece. I agree with Jim about the wintery look (as I am wringing my chilly fingers up here on this snowy day). This is very beautiful.

Hi everyone. Thanks for the copliments. Greg, I didn't know knives had gender. I'll have to remember that when I name them as I occaisionally do.

Dagistsanli, the ornament is pretty much my interpretation of classic European ornament. I've studied it for many years, and usually come up with some incarnation of it. I use a reciprocating handpeice for roughing out heavy cuts, and then go to hand gravers from there. The surface it chased with a hammer and punches. That's the finish you see.

Hi Doug, That could be the one I had partly finished when you were here.

Hello Robert,

Thank you for taking the time to explain how you've done the nice carving , from which I've learned a few things I might use in the future. Regarding the ornaments, you've really carved them well, haven't lost the meaning of the curves while carving, and what I enjoyed the best was those little round, I guess silver, inlays, on the surface of the blade and the handle. I haven't seen it done before!

Very nice work. Thank you for sharing.

Best Regards,

dagistanli.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived