A most excellent goat

Guest ford hallam

Guest ford hallam

Greetings all,

for your enjoyment I thought I`d post this image of a beautiful piece of wood carving. The artist, Ishikawa Komei, lived from 1851 until 1913 and was designated a Japanese Imperial Court Artist ( Teishitsu gigeiin ).

The carving is about 12 inches long and the wood is left with the "as carved" surface. I think the subtle effect of the almost invisible chisel cuts really adds a certain vitality to the form, it seems to me to bring the surface alive.

I hope the image does`nt exeed the forum limits but I did`nt want to lose the detail.

enjoy, Ford ;)

Ford,

Thank you for the excellent image of the Komei hitsuji. I have been a enthralled with Komei for over 20 years and have handled quite a few of his pieces. The incredible thing about his work is his range of subject, technique and materials.

I have attached a bad picture of a masterpiece panel of the "White Robed Kannon" by Komei. I was able to see this in person and no picture can do it justice.

I have also attached another pirated image of a contemporary of Komei's, Takamura Koun (1852-1934). In some ways his work evokes more empathy and pathos than does Komei.

Thanks again for the excellent post.

Craig Bird

post-157-1132957649.jpg

Guest ford hallam

Hi Craig,

you`re obviously a man of impeccable taste, well I would say that as we seem to appreciate the same work ;)

Attached is an image of a collaborative piece by both artists. I`m not sur eof the exact size but would imagine it to be about 2 1/2" wide, the image shows the front and back of the same piece.

Ford

Guest ford hallam

Hi Dick,

Sorry that the image I posted was so small so as to make it difficult to discern, but the carvings on the tanzaku panel are actually incised into the ground, almost intaglio in style. The bass relief effect obviously works well. ;)

regards, Ford

Ford,

I have seen several of these tanzaku format pieces by both artists as well as an ivory one by Asahi Gyokuzan of Fudo-myoo. Great power in a small space.

Back in the 80's it seemed that one could easily see Komei's works all over the US at better antique shows and netsuke gatherings. They were still out of my price range then, but at least you could see the great Meiji carvers rather readily.

Thanks for sharing and please feel free to add more pix!

CAB

Ford & Craig. Nice sequence. Here's one of my favorites by Takahashi Hozan(1798-sometime after 1868). Softwood masterwork 46.2cm high with as Paul Moss says "greyish, dusty lacquer(?)".

I love the combination of the wood-grain with the natural wear and chiseling. There are so many things to admire in work such as this. The subject is Shussan Shaka, the wind-blown Buddha descending from the mountain.

Speaking of Takamura Koun, he described Hozan's work as so fine that "the hair on his figures could be torn between two fingers".

post-4-1133054552.jpg

post-4-1133054615.jpg

Guest ford hallam

Cheers Jim,

I know that piece well, there is indeed something sublime about it. I must agree with you about it`s quality, it is probably one of my favorite Buddhist images too. It resonates very powerfully with me. Thanks for the image.

Ford

Archived