Building A Gemstone Carving Station....left Handed Issues

Craig.

I am designing a fixed arbor carving station and ran into some issues....primarily that most high RPM motors run counter clockwise. In my ongoing search for the most appropriate 4,000 - 10,000 RPM clockwise turning or reversible motors, the only motors I am finding are industrial sewing machine motors. They have all the right specs and are (mostly) brushless and reversible, however, the max. RPM is 5,000. I was about to settle on this, but thought I'd post here to see what you all thought. I looked at the currently available ones from Diamond Pacific and Foredom, and since Foredom makes the motors for Diamond Pacific, I tried to persuade their R&D guy to consider a clockwise turning version of the motor. The chinese stations are oriented the correct way but large and pricey.

Left handed problems? Most of the people I know use both hands to hold the stones while carving them. I see no problems with a clockwise turning motor,build you machine with a clockwise motor,,,,turn it 180 degrees and the motor is on the right /shaft on the left and you have a CCW rotation machine.

Archived