If only she`d used moisturiser

Guest ford hallam

Guest ford hallam

This photograph of 78 year old National Living Treasure, Ayano Chiba is one of my favourites. She was a remarkable and inspiring woman.

as always, Ford :lol:

:lol: Yup! What might her story be, why was she painted green, the life that bent the youthful beauty she might have had in her early years?

It is wonderful and easy to gaze upon the youthful curves of a young woman, imagining the potential of her life. The image above has a story, as do all who survive youth, filled with experiences that come to bear upon the flesh and bones.

Thanks Ford! Anybody got any more images

(I managed to write a different note (I liked it), but instead of the keystroke to select all to do a spell check elsewhere, I did the keystroke to quit and blew it all away! I thought that I knew better than that!)

Guest ford hallam
It is wonderful and easy to gaze upon the youthful curves of a young woman, imagining the potential of her life. 

Perhaps, from a womans perspective. Speaking as a man, I think the brutish sex has other factors which inform our interest. :lol: , it`s all down to biology and it`s why we`re here ( and how we`re here. ) :)

Ford

No argument about the nature of that biological fact! It is what life is all about and the human complexities beyond the elemental make the stories!

Thank you for the National Living Treasure picture! She has an irresistible smiling face! For what is she recognized as a Living Treasure?

On to work some more wrinkles into my story... :lol: Got the house cleaned already today... <_>

Guest ford hallam

Hi Janel,

Ayano Chiba was named as "the holder of an intangible cultural asset" in 1955.

She was born in 1889 and spent her life cultivating and using the indigo plant, as well as growing, harvesting and spinning hemp/flax which she then dyed. The finished product is known as Shoaizome in Japanese.

Here`s a link to a page that describes a whole variety of dying and weaving process, shoai zome is some way down the page. http://www.kimono.or.jp/dic/eng/02Dye-Tohoku.html

Ford

It is wonderful and easy to gaze upon the youthful curves of a young woman, imagining the potential of her life.  The image above has a story, as do all who survive youth, filled with experiences that come to bear upon the flesh and bones. 

Ford,

Not every beautiful portrait of a woman must a beautiful woman.

Anna Christina 1967 Andrew Wyeth "There she was without affectation- The quality of a Medici head"

Dick

post-15-1133466903.jpg

Guest ford hallam

Oh yeah! Dick,

have you got her phone number? :lol: ,

seriously though, despite being deliberately laddish, my own aesthetic taste is very much informed by an appreciation of the imperminance of all living things.

The cherry blossom is at it`s most beautiful just as it falls and withers.

Perhaps a true appreciation of the visual "beauty" of aging only comes with an awareness of our own mortality. I feel that my own appreciation is tinged with sadness, tenderness and a touch of melancholy.

Oh, see what you`ve done now, I`m all depressed. :P , Best go and have another look at Greg`s carving :)

as always, Ford

The cherry blossom is at it`s most beautiful just as it falls and withers.

Perhaps a true appreciation of the visual "beauty" of aging only comes with an awareness of our own mortality. I feel that my own appreciation is tinged with sadness, tenderness and a touch of melancholy.

you make a good point Ford.

Though, I often wonder whether there's a difference between accepting one's OWN mortality and that of his surroundings. No answer here. Just pondering... :lol:

-t

Guest ford hallam

Hi Garrett,

Sorry, no cigar. :) It`s a "saishiki", a lacquered wood (might be cypress :lol: ) figure. Not a netsuke and evidently not by Shuzan. Artist unknown.

I imagine the film you saw was the National Geographic one, I get all warm and comforted watching film like that. :P

regards, Ford

• 2 weeks later...

Archived