Gary R

Dremel Moto Saw

Hi there, it's been a long time since I was last here. I've been making jewellery for some time using Woolly Mammoth Ivory, and have decided that it would be nice to do a little, simple carving. I will need a scroll saw for this and want to acquire a decent item for minimal cost. The saw will not be subject to intensive use and need only be "basic". Does anyone here have any experience or recommendations re the Dremel that they'd care to pass on please ? Thank you.

Gary.

I have a Dremel scroll saw. I use for cutting out small pieces of hardwoods. it works fine for thin less than 1/2 inch. if I go to 3/4 or more it will cut but the blade will wander no matter how slow I go. I have tried to cut 3/4 inch pen blanks in half, the blade will wander and follow the grain in some woods. I have had some good results with it on small cuts and not to thick , cut some Ebony and some Pink Ivory with it. faster and easier than by hand with a jewelers saw. I leave enough waste to take care of saw blade marks, if I could find a better quality blade to fit ,, think the cut would be much better.

this is the small scroll saw, the one that comes apart and you can use it by hand, will look for info and post it.

Thank you Ed. Yes, that is the Dremel Saw that I am talking about. I'm never likely to be cutting anywhere near 3/4" material so looks like I'd be pretty safe.

Gary if you do get that saw, here is one of the things I have done for me to get smooth cutting. I got a 3/4" thick piece of MDF board cut a slot so I can slide it past the blade. This gives you a smooth surface and a new cutting spot on your blade.

Thanks again Ed, that is handy information.

Another couple of questions please : Which of the blades supplied with the Dremel do you use ? I have seen ( somewhere ), blade-like sanding strips that attach to scroll saws. Do you have any knowledge of those please ?

Most grateful for your help Ed.

post-107-0-66699800-1453943278.jpgpost-107-0-88961200-1453943291.jpg

the close up shows the 3/4 inch MDF clamped as needed. I cut a slot and drilled a hole for the blade to pass.

This setup does 2 things ,,a smooth surface and a new cutting place on the blade.

Gary I do not have any of the sanding blades ,, I use the blades that are best for the cutting that I am doing close teeth for fine cuts ,, and skip tooth and less teeth for rough cutting,