Distortion

Guest katfen

That is tiny! Isn't it fun to work in that scale sometimes? I really like seeing the grain of the wood, and with this abstraction, it adds an additional flowing movement through the pieces.

Nice to see you here again, Kathleen!

Janel

ps your avatar is interesting too!

Your pieces in their abstraction always seem to be evocative of a number of things. In this piece I especially like the little curlicue element in the last picture. It reigns in the opening up, expansive movement of the piece with a bit of tension. As Dick commented, I agree- your works transcend scale very well. Something about it begs for a bit of weight- perhaps metal or ivory..., as I imagine it in one's hand.

Guest ford hallam

Hello Kathleen,

I must agree with Dick on this one, I imagine it would look magnificent on a massive scale, perhaps carved out of a 10ft high boulder, pale coloured, like the pearwood. In an oasis surrounded by palm trees and giant sand dunes framing the scene. I`ll have word with the Sultan of Brunei. ;)

On a more serious note, if I may. First off, I really like it. It displays wonderful sensitivity to both form and material. In a number of places the grain has seemingly been deliberately utilised to emphasise the already strong lines of the composition. It occurs to me as I write this that it is in fact a composition, one of lines, planes and volumes. I think you`ve handled all three elements very successfully. I`m drawn to a number of details also, the beaded edge of the rounded form, centre on the first image, is very satisfying but just to the left, as that plane sweeps down, I "want" it to create a hollow, scooped out area, I feel cheated. It appears to me to be too heavy at that point, something you`ve avoided on the rest of the piece. The other minor quibble I would express regards the curly stem. Viewed from the side it appears fine, in the last image however, when viewed from above it seems ill-formed, I suspect this is a skill issue rather than a design boo boo and I imagine it probably "sticks in your eye" too.

Thanks for posting this little big sculpture and I trust you will take my comments in the spirit they are intended. They are after all, only opinions. ( I would never suggest they`re humble though :) )

regards, Ford B)

Guest ford hallam

just wanted to say that I also liked the way you scooped out certain areas of the "leaves", it creates yet more interesting lines and emphasises a certain tension in the form, which suggests vitality, perhaps even movement within. Hard trick to pull off,

as always, Ford ;)

P.S. you could always put a hole in it and call it a netsookie. :)

Hi Kathleen, This may be a little late (I've been busy), But I'd like to put in my two cents. First off, I like it very much, and as with all sculpture I like, I need to touch it to fully understand it (I get into trouble at museums regularly). I agree with Ford about the little curlique. It needs a little refinement. Also, did I miss something here? It appears to me to be abstract if organic, but I get the feeling from the way you talk about it that it represents something. Am I wrong about that? :P

• 4 weeks later...

Archived