Wood Carver

Ed Twilbeck

Hi all, I am Ed a retired Fire Chief and a wood carver / wood worker. I have been looking at many of the Artist sites and reading many of the messages that are posted. Many have helped me with new ideas and given me some great inspirations for carvings in the near future. I have some wood carving tools and a small supply of wood that I had before Katrina, which I was able to keep. I have been reading about the tools called gravers. What I want to know are they used for metal work only, or are they also used for wood. I plan to do a leaf that has dried and twisted. I have a great sample and have started rough shaping. I am using mostly flexcut tools, since that is what I have. I plan on acquiring more tools but would like some Ideas on what tools to start with to do small wood carvings, and maybe in the future some other materials. Thanks Ed Firewood Studio

Hi Ed, and welcome. Gravers can be used on wood, with some qualifiications. In Europe, before copperplate engraving, printing was done off plates of end-grain Boxood. Blocks of end-grain sections were glued up to create panels. These days linoleum is used as well as copper. The harder woods such as Boxwood and Ebony engrave fairly well even on flat grain, less well going across the grain. Perhaps the most useful wood engraving application you might see around here would be for hair and similar texture.

Archived