Is a saw just a saw?

Janel

What is the difference between a jeweler's saw and a coping saw? I assumed that they were one in the same, with variation in size, depth, attachment for saw blades and the blades themselves.

What other sorts of saws are we finding useful?

What about power saws? Safe enough, useful enough for the hardest woods?

What else? :)

I'm guessing the coping saw is bigger and you can easily steer the blades direction.

I found and really like the Sears round hole saws $10 they work great for enlarging the tang hole for a stick tang knife. They have 2 sizes 3/16" and 1/4" the tip is a spade bladed drill bit but I ground that off so it would extend deeper in the knife handle hole. The also are great for roughing out shapes in wood, I wish they would make some other sizes too.

here's a link to look at one

Sears hole saw

I also bought one of those japanese files that looks like a bunch of hacksaws pinned together and its great for roughing and putting a cool texture on a blade.

kinda related to the subject. sorry

Rik

Guest ford hallam

Hi Rik,

I`m intrigued by the file you mentioned that looks like hacksaw blades pinned together, I`ve occasionally made something similar but that sounds pretty handy. Any links to a supplier?

regards, Ford

There is not difference in basic idea. they both serve the same type of function. The ones generally available at the local hardware store are cheap and use Pinned blades that are generally not suited to fine metal work. That is not to say you can't find the right blades and a quality Copeing saw. The Jewelers saw is a copeing saw, but it comes with different conotations and specificaly uses pinless blades. the selection of blades is commonly available includes quality fine metal working blades. I have your run of the mill sears coping saw and it can't compare to my $15 german jewelers saw in context of fine metal working.

To the second topic. I purchased a High quality scroll saw that uses the same blades as my jewelers saw. it will cut very slow with lots of power. Its about as close to jewelers saw as you can get, but it still pales in comparison to the hand saw in metal plate. The subtle stroke and degree of control you can get by hand is difficult to duplicate with a machine. So I have a R.B.I.G4 Scroll saw that is going to see very little service hehe. It excels in wood and is capable of the finest scroll work in very thick woods. I just don't do much with wood hehe.

Patrick

Archived