Sign in to follow this  
DarrenK

What are you working on....?

Hello carvers,

Wondering what work you might have in progress leading in to Christmas? A perfect time for gifting treasures. 

I find I have to work on a few pieces at a time. Must stop me getting bored ... they seem to vie with one another to get finished first.

Happy holidays 😎

20181126_210017.jpg

20181126_210003.jpg

20181216_063304.jpg

Still progressing my replica crossbow, should have all the inlays shown in the photo installed this holiday (the upper 8 are in now), just got to source a large fallow antler palm to carve the last two inlays from , make a string, finish testing the bow, cover it and paint it, and wait for the blacksmith to get some down-time after the Christmas rush, then fine carve all the inlays, make and install the twiddly horn inlays, sand, and varnish the stock and then apply the decorative paint effects . Hope to be all done by Easter. 😁 Oh, also got to build a crossbow table and make and fletch a set of bolts.

20181126_171324.jpg20181102_100713.jpg

Hi Andrew, 

That's very cool ! Somewhere I have a large book on the construction of crossbows that I bought in London... what are the inlays made of? 

Not far to go then .... 😎

I have read that book more than once, its very good, up to a point. The white inlays are bone, the black are water buffalo horn, the carved inlays are antler.