Wood

Guest katfen

I would like to try carving boxwood, but haven't had any luck locating it yet.  I would like to try and purchase in Toronto if possible.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kathleen

You can try lee Valey Tools

I have found some nice pieces there, but that was a few years ago, worth a try..

There also was a wood supplier in London ont that sold some..The name escapes me..

Seems to me there use to be a few exotic wood supplier's in TO..

Unicorn was one..

Sorry I cxan't be more helpful than that

Ray

It's very difficult to find good quality boxwood. I seem to be on this quest lately as well. A few tips I've learned (the hard way!)

-Like a lot of woods, there can be one generic name for a whole number of different trees. (ebony, mahogany, rosewood, cherry all follow this rule too)

-Don't order anything from South American origin- it's far too soft and a completely different tree. I think most woodworking shops (Woodworker's Store, Rockler, etc here in the U.S.) will source from here

-English boxwood is better, but the quality varies drastically. Some is pale colored and tight, other that you get is full of grey streaks, scars, blemishes, etc and has dry patches.

-French, or Pyrennean, is much better- a rich yet pale yellow and more uniform in texture.

-There is also boxwood grown in Asia (China, Thailand) that is supposed to be very good- I'm being sent a sample of this now

-If you order from abroad, be sure and have the seller remove all traces of bark from the wood or it will get confiscated ( :) happened to me once!)

I had the most wonderful piece of boxwood once that came to me in the form of a 'hanko' or Japanese seal block. It was small, but handled a chisel wonderfully. Have a look through Toronto's Chinatown in one of those shops where they cut signature seal stamps for people.

I've also found boxwood pieces at flea markets. There's usually a guy who sells old print and type blocks at these things... Sometimes you will find an electrotype engraving backed with boxwood. Most often it's cherry, but you can be lucky.

These pieces can be somewhat dry, but it's a start :)

I've got a few irons in the fire right now and will tell folks if/when they pan out.

or you could plant now and harvest in 30 years ;)

-Doug

I would like to try carving boxwood, but haven't had any luck locating it yet.  I would like to try and purchase in Toronto if possible.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kathleen

Hi Kathleen,

I live in the Vancouver area of British Columbia and have never been able to locate any Boxwood here. But I did manage to find a wood supplier back east in Cambridge Ontario called A&M Wood Specialty Inc. They sell half logs and the price is per pound, so depending on the length of the the half log is what you will pay. I haven't yet ordered any so I can't vouch for the condition of the logs..

-Joe-

http://www.forloversofwood.com/canada/specialty/misc.html

I received my samples in the mail from a supplier in Japan. They sell boxwood (Jap. tsuge) in a number of ways-

Logs from China, undried which can be cut

Dried version of the above, from China

Pre-cut 'hanko' size blocks 7 x 2.7 x 2.7cm from China

Dried stock from Thailand

The Thai boxwood is gorgeous- a slightly redder hue in the wood than the golden-yellow color of the Chinese box. It's the most expensive, and supplies are limited.

All the samples I received were of very good quality- at least compared to the British box I've been working with in the past. I took a knife to them last night and they cut very well. There seems to be little to no streaking from fungus throughout the pieces I received.

Prices range from Y3000 (for the hanko blocks) to Y8000 (Thai boxwood) per kilo.

I will definitely order some for myself, but thought I'd ask if others want to go in on a joint order. I can be the shipping location and then I'll send on pieces to those who want them in N. America.

I'm still working on getting information on some French boxwood cut in the Alps 8 years ago- so it is nicely dried. These prices will range from 3-10 euros/kg (considerably cheaper than the Chinese/Thai). The price will go up a bit if the supplier needs to remove the bark before shipment (needed to get it through US customs, or you can take your chances...)

-Doug Sanders

How interesting! I would like to have some of each that you might order, just to see what it is like. The quantity would not need to be very much, perhaps enough for two to four pieces that would be carved from each amount. At my rate of carving that could last a long time.

I prefer the dried woods rather than green.

Thanks for doing the investigating. Keep me posted. Will you need money up front to make the purchase? Do that privately with each of us that are interested in joining in the order.

Janel

I've spent a considerable amount of time on the web recently searching for a source of Boxwood. I found one supplier -- Gilmer Wood Company -- that has some Turkish Boxwood. Check it out here. The log sections and a few of the partially dried blocks are already sold, but they may have a few of the partially-dried blocks left.

I also found a site here that suggests they have boxood logs for sale, but they only ship within the UK :) .

One other interesting site is All Righteous Woods. However, they list it as Gossypiospermum spp., which is the genus name for Zapatero (South American I think) Boxwood -- not buxus sempervirens which is the European variety. (Wood experts -- please correct me if I am wrong here). I sent them an e-mail asking for clarification, but I didn't get a response. Can anyone visually identify these either way?

Given the difficulty in locating boxwood, It would be interesting to see a discussion on boxwood substitutes. Anyone have any great experience with boxwood substitute woods?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks,

Kathleen

Hi katfen, did you find any boxwood yet? You could try Lee Valley Tools or Windsor plywood if you have one in T.O. Lee Valley has main office in Ottawa. Check them out on internet. With lots of carving tools. Tagua nuts cheaper than anywhere because I have checked. Cost about 40-50 cents ea. by lb. and if you get them at the Gem shows they are about 1-3 dollars ea.ditto other suppliers some in american money. www.leevalley.com. cooch

• 6 months later...

Have been looking for English boxwood around the US lately and apparently these people are getting some in aobut 3 weeks or so...

http://www.anexotichardwood.com/index.htmlhttp://www.anexotichardwood.com/index.html' target='_blank'>

they are based in CA.

Doug, I have found a couple of places that sell Laotian boxwood. I wonder how

that compares to the Thai boxwood you mentioned...

-t

Never know until we try, I guess. Incidentally, I was speaking with Lee Sloggett (sp?) - Australian carver- at the INS convention, and he said he imagined that Thai boxwood wouldn't be very good due to it's more equatorial growth rates. I guess wood's in the eye of the beholder.

We experiment and carve what we like :)

• 1 month later...

Ok, I have a source for European Boxwood(Buxus sempervirens) from England. See the photo of some samples below for an idea of sizes.(sorry, I bought the x'd pieces) Also smaller rounds available. Imported to the Seatle area in 1989. I bought some in the mid 90s and it is all sound and unchecked. If you want the contact info, drop me a message. The seller is rather slow, but very reliable. If you're in the Seattle area, you could go see it in person. I can't assume responsibility for the accuracy of any of this. I'm only passing info on.

post-4-1132280956.jpg

It may be the same source which I purchased from a while ago. I found the wood very dense and carvable. "Red Lily" was from that source. You can see that piece in progress in New Work or Show & Tell forum to get a look at the wood in use.

Janel

• 1 month later...

Thanks,

Kathleen

Hi All,

Kathleen, you could try here:

http://www.lawrence.co.uk/shop/

They appear to post worldwide.

Haven't tried them yet but they have been recommended as a reliable firm.

I'm a newbie to engraving myself although I have a fair bit of experience at small wood carving.

Cheers,

Alec

Archived