Ed Twilbeck

Walnut Burl Leaf

Had a small piece of walnut burl leftover from a project in the past. 

Difficulty carving, had to use my power grinder then finished with small knives. Then polished and waxed.

May add some beads to make it a necklace. 

8EFD129F-9692-4743-BCCE-E8A769A4D8DD.jpeg

B10F9CCC-3712-4442-8596-4B2CC19972FD.jpeg

I had trouble with walnut when carving it, striving for a smooth surface on wavy grain.  The rippled grain was rather obstinate, driving the knife up and down instead of me driving it straight through the fibers.

Yes I have hit the same, most was with a rotary tool and rotary sander. Then finished with a knife and chisels. Then buffed, polished, and waxed.

I think that I tried to use a very flat-backed sander to try to level the surface after the major wood removal.  I brought the surface to a very fine polish with 8,000-10,000 emery cloths, then used a hardening oil, maybe a Woodsheen (uncolored) product from a while back.  Sets up fairly quickly and buffs nicely with a cloth.  

Janel

3 hours ago, Janel said:

I think that I tried to use a very flat-backed sander to try to level the surface after the major wood removal.  I brought the surface to a very fine polish with 8,000-10,000 emery cloths, then used a hardening oil, maybe a Woodsheen (uncolored) product from a while back.  Sets up fairly quickly and buffs nicely with a cloth.  

Janel

I have a home made rotary flap sander it is a small drum sander I cut strips to sand and then I use a buffing wheel and polishing compound then I wax with carnauba wax. 

I found that putting a wax on before fine sanding really helps with difficult grain; it acts a bit like a sanding sealer but also lubricates the  surface under the paper making the process that bit easier, although the wastage on the paper increases significantly as the wax clogs it up quite quickly.

Lovely little carving though, I like at as a pendant, but it might make one half of a pair of ear-rings.........

The wax is the last step, it is carnauba wax in a block form and the hardest wax I have found. I buff it with a rotary chamois strips and a rotary nylon string buffer. 
If pictures are wanted I will be glad to post later.