Lighting

Ed Twilbeck

I would like to know what type lights do you use? My work area for now is a small room, no windows, and my lights are a 100 watt bulb on the ceiling, and a 100 watt reveal bulb on a clamp type lamp. I need better lighting, any ideas? Most of the time I try to work out side in the sunshine, where it is always good lighting. When I had my studio I had plenty of lights and a lot of natural lighting.Firewood Studio

Hi, I used to use regular light bulbs, but the heat from them was close to my face and hands, since I keep the very near my hands and head while carving the little pieces. I call the lfixture an elbow lamp. The end that is not the light end is held in place in a hole drilled into the old desk that makes up part of my carving space. Another hole is in the dust collector to hold a lamp such as this, and currently I am trying that position for the lamp.

My bulb choice now is the tornado style florescent bulb, and have recently used a daylight spectrum or daylight simulation spectrum. It seems like a cool light, but all the colors seem to be well represented. Sorry, I cannot be more specific. The florescent bulb is less warming on the face, hands and wood. That may or may not be an issue with your work.

Janel

Hi. Lighting is very important. I worked in a jewelry factory for 17 years, and we always used three-bulb flourescent lamps. Now that I work in my own shop, I use the same type of lamp. It's made by Dazor, and the bulbs are eighteen inches long. The three-bulb lamps work the best. They stay cool, which for me is important, as I usually rest the lamp right against my forhead when I'm working. I also have a second lamp which shines over my left shoulder. You almost can't have too much light (especially as you get older :))

Archived