power engraving

Jim Kelso

• 2 months later...

Another benefit of power assisted engraving that's occured to me lately is the lesser amount of stress involved compared to using a hammer and chisel. I seem to have developed an elbow injury over the last two months or so. I notice that what seems to agravate the injury the most as far as my work goes is repetitive hammer blows such as when chasing a texture or hammering a chisel. It does seem that using the Air Graver as I am now is comparatively easy on the elbow, which does seem to be healing. I've been treating it twice daily with hot, moist packs and a linement which I think have been helpful. Certainly feels good.

I can't talk any on air engravers since I have not done any metal engraving or have an air powered engraver. But I do have an Auto mach reciprocating carver. And I keep wondering if I could engrave use the right gravering cutters, that would have to be fitted to the tool. The weight of the tool could be a problem. But after using the tool to carve wood, A miniture carving of an owl. I think I could work with this tool to start engraving, any thoughts on my wondering. Ed :rolleyes:

Jim,

Pneumatic engraving tools are indeed pretty amazing... Much, much shorter learning curve - and as you noticed, they do minimize the chance of repetetive stress injuries.

Unfortunately, I did not begin using them exclusively soon enough. So far I have undergone 5 carpal tunnel surgeries, 2 elbow releases, and shoulder surgery...

As far as these tools are concerned; I bought and still own GraverMeister - serial # 237, and a GraverMax serial #12??. You can guess how old I am from this...

Then along came the AirGraver with all it's incredible features. Bought my first one almost 6 years ago. Been using it exclusively ever since. I own 5 different models - some no longer made, and we have 8 in the classroom including the PalmControl.

Don't have time this evening to elaborate further... perhaps in the next couple days.

Brian P. Marshall

Stockton Jewelry Arts School

Stockton, CA USA

209-477-0550

instructor@jewelryartschool.com

I can't talk any on air engravers since I have not done any metal engraving or have an air powered engraver. But I do have an Auto mach reciprocating carver. And I keep wondering if I could engrave use the right gravering cutters, that would have to be fitted to the tool. The weight of the tool could be a problem. But after using the tool to carve wood, A miniture carving of an owl. I think I could work with this tool to start engraving, any thoughts on my wondering. Ed :rolleyes:

Ed, I haven't used the Auto Mach. It does look somwhat cumbersome comparatively, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Jim,

Pneumatic engraving tools are indeed pretty amazing... Much, much shorter learning curve - and as you noticed, they do minimize the chance of repetetive stress injuries.

Unfortunately, I did not begin using them exclusively soon enough. So far I have undergone 5 carpal tunnel surgeries, 2 elbow releases, and shoulder surgery...

Brian P. Marshall

Stockton Jewelry Arts School

Stockton, CA USA

209-477-0550

instructor@jewelryartschool.com

Brian, when you have time, maybe you could let us know what led to your injuries and if you have ideas how to avoid that sort of thing. There is a current thread "repetitive stress and tools"

under the Tools & Technical menu. Thanks, Jim

I had one of the early Gravermeisters but sold it unfortunately, so don't know the #. I traded John Rohner a banjo for it about 1974, and it kick-started my engraving.

Hi Jim,

You're right... being worked on - here's the prototype -

http://studentpages.scad.edu/~mmarsh23/sjas/index.html

37 years as an engraver, silversmith, goldsmith. 25 years of it as a trade shop for retail jewelers. About 7 or 8 years teaching hand engraving and other bench skills.

I am not an "art" engraver. We do commercial contract hand engraving on platinum rings, logos, repetetive inscriptions and the like. Some one of a kind pieces and some limited edition stuff too... I make a piece or two for gallery sales, but lately there's no time...

B.

• 2 months later...

Howdy folks--I recieved my Magna Block and #901 hand piece, yesterday. I tried it last night. It is going to be the cats meow. It really did make a difference. You can roll your work into your graver, slick as a whistle.

Set the GRAVER MAX up a bit different, than with the heavy straight handpice.

Sound like I am tickled?Grin.

Chuck

• 2 years later...

I hope it's ok to bring this topic back to the top. I have purchased the Lindsey tools (one hand control and one foot control) as well as an engraving ball. I actually have had all the tools for some time. I am now ready to set up an engraving bench in a spare room in the house. I still need a compressor. Any suggestions on what type/make would work well? I think I need something that will not create the usual racket, I often start my workday very early, and don't want to wake up my wife, she would be grumpy for the rest of the day.

Wolfgang

I'd have to concur with Dan, although there are a couple of guys here who may have done their research. I'd say the main consideration after noise, might be filtering of water. Lots of experience at the engravers' forums and Steve has some discounts, I think, on those that he sells.

I still have my noisy old one. I pray every time it comes on it will be it's last gasp.

Jim

I still need a compressor. Any suggestions on what type/make would work well? I think I need something that will not create the usual racket, I often start my workday very early, and don't want to wake up my wife, she would be grumpy for the rest of the day.

Wolfgang

I have a Sil-Air compressor, I love it, it's very quiet. Downside to it is you are paying a lot extra for a quiet compressor.

• 1 month later...

For air, I use CO2 canisters and tanks, I do have a couple of air compressors in a completely different part of the house with a long hose, one of those new types that are translucent and light weight. I have a Lindsay Palm Graver and with the small CO2 canisters I am very mobile.

This is just some information that might help with the noise problem plus some extra info.

Debbie

• 1 month later...
I hope it's ok to bring this topic back to the top. I have purchased the Lindsey tools (one hand control and one foot control) as well as an engraving ball. I actually have had all the tools for some time. I am now ready to set up an engraving bench in a spare room in the house. I still need a compressor. Any suggestions on what type/make would work well? I think I need something that will not create the usual racket, I often start my workday very early, and don't want to wake up my wife, she would be grumpy for the rest of the day.

Wolfgang

Wolfgang, the usual compressors that are sold that are quiet really are bad for air tools if they use oil.

They say you can use filters etc to avoid contamination of your tool, but unless you want to fill a dry ice and acetone vapor trap everyday, dont use any compressor that uses oil.

The oil will eventually contaminate the tool.

I have my oiless noisy compressor outside, and its plumbed with plastic pipe into my shop.

The other option if you have Lindsay tools, because of the low cfm req, you can use compressed gas, like scuba tanks, etc.

good luck, Barry

Hi Barry, welcome, and nice to see you here. Which gas would you recommend for the scuba tank set-up? I believe pure oxygen is a fire hazard, because of sparking potential, so my guess is just compressed air.

Is there a discussion on Steve's forum about this and if so, could you give us a link?

Thanks.

Jim

Archived