Rotary Tools

Rik Palm

I looked for the thread on the NSK and couldn't find it so I thought I'd start a new one.

I had the chance to try out my new Presto (NSK) air driven grinder. I like it!

I'm really surprised at how much torque it has, it doesn't really remove alot of material like a Foredom but it is really precise and fun to use. I was carving on steel and forced it into a crack and the burr would get stuck once and awhile but I was really pushing the tool. Haven't tried it on wood yet but thats next, my son gave it a whirl on wood.

Rik

Air-driven? Could you try to explain the differences, attributes or why one would choose air-driven vs. a micro-grinder that is not powered by compressed air?

I have the NSK Electer which has the motor in the handle with an electric cord contected to a control unit that sits off to the side.

Janel

Hmm, it seems that NSK does not click with the search keywords. "grinder" and "micro grinder" work.

I've had my NSK Presto for a few months and have given it a good work-out. I used it a lot on the Ebony leaf carving of a few months ago. I also use the Foredom for heavy going.

The Presto is a fine tool and I would recommend it. I haven't tried any of the micro-motors. I'm sure they work very well.

The Presto is very comfortable in the hand. I doubt that it has the torque of the micro-motors, but I find working between it and the Foredom a very viable approach. My work demands a wide range of

power from quite heavy to very light and these two tools give me that.

Steve Lindsay has some advice here

I've looked at the NSK micromotor, and several people have strongly recommended it to me, but I just can't afford it (over 1000 US Dollars).

There are a number of cheaper micromotors on the market, including one from Foredom and a company called "Ram Products". These are in the $300-$400 range, which is closer to what I could justify with the boss (aka spouse).

Has anyone tried micromotors from Foredom, Ram, or others in the $300-$400 price range?

Archived