Sign in to follow this  
Andrew V

lock-down knife sheath

Very loosely inspired by ainu makiri, I thought my favourite whittling knife deserved a decent sheath, its not finished yet by any means, I'm in for about 30 hours so far, about another 10 before I'm done.

20200510_1209004965542536487683637.jpg20200510_1209421402379873366483634.jpg

20200617_085026325327938789066775.jpgThe carving is done, the sheath is finished with Danish oil tinted with artists umber oil paint. I spent a while making the ojime from antler tip but the netsuke I carved a few years back and has sat in a box ever since. Anyine able to advise on an authentic string plait I should use?

Hello Andrew V,

That looks like a lot of repetitive work for the scales on the sheath.  What is it carved from?  

Look up ' kumihimo ' here on the forum.  There is much information about how folks have made cord for themselves, from different kinds of threads and materials.  

J

Hi Janel,

The sheath is apple-wood.  Thank you for the kumihimo reference, they look really interesting but the bead hole is only 2mm across, would a pair of kumihimo fit?

Hi Andrew,

How about if you use more threads to bulk up the braiding to make it a single cord that will fit the hole.  For instance two strands paired for each one strand, or what ever works for multi-ply-ing (a pun is in there somewhere) the strands to make the cord the diameter that you want it to be.

Janel