Sign in to follow this  
Doug Sanders

William Simmonds

I'm attaching some images of the work of an early 20th century sculptor associated with the British Arts and Crafts movement, specifically a number of people who left the city to head to rural life in Cornwall. I don't know too much about the man, but came across him recently in a show at the local art museum about the A&C movement.

After scouring the internet, I came across these images courtesy of the Crafts Study Centre at the Surrey Institute of Art and Design and the Cheltenham Art Museum. Besides a sculptor he was also a puppetmaker, a very fine draughtsman, a photographer and an architect by training.

post-10-1136495514.jpgpost-10-1136495415.jpgpost-10-1136495530.jpg

There's also a book out with several of his small ivory carvings depicted- one of a buck and doe rabbit in a arbor of plants, a wood sprite, and a calvalry officer (WWI) rescuing a woman and child from a underground shelter.

I particularly like the ducklings and mouse. Simple, rustic, relatively minimal but obviously of great talent.

post-10-1136495558.jpg

oops! they scrolled horizontally. sorry!

p.s. the ducklings are boxwood, the piglets ivory and the mouse plum wood.

Not sure about the calf- I think he's also more on the 10-12inch scale; 25-30cm for the rest of the world :)

Thanks Doug!

These could be netsuke, if carved in the right scale. Scrolling horizontally is ok for the wide screens. Resize to a narrow browser window and they line up vertically for me.

Nice work and thank you for searching for the images to share with us.

Janel