Cornel Schneider

Janel

With the permission of Swiss carver Cornel Schneider, I will share with this group the piece that he is working on currently.

The snake in this carving will have skin texture made by a Japanese technique - ukibori. A tool is fashioned to the shape or shapes required, pressed into the boxwood (of this carving) to compress the wood fibers, the surface is shaved and sanded down to the level of the compressed wood.

"At the moment, I work down the ukibori skin..........a delicate story as You know. I always take the lenght of 4 cm, repress the scales again, because they always come a little bit up and cut of the wood until the ground. Well, the last 2/10 mm, I grind down with paper. This is my work for the next days."

When the carving, pressing, pressing, pressing, pressing, pressing and the sanding of the surface is complete, hot water is applied to the compressed wood to raise the grain. Presto, snake skin! (Many, many days were committed to the pressing of the scales, so it is not really - presto!)

The committment that Cornel has in each of his marvelous snake sculptures, and the smaller lizards, is awesome. Recently in an email message he wrote, "I dont know how many thousand kilograms............................... especially my right hand was damaged inside, the skin was away and I had to tape it every morning. One day I could not press."

What I wouldn't give to be a fly on his shoulder when he applies the hot water!

Cornel's web site has a page with this piece as work in progress [Neuheiten]:

http://www.cornelschneider.ch/

Janel

Schlange15.jpg

For now, Cornel will remain a private individual. He and I are email friends, and he has written nicely about his preference to not join the forums. So, when I have his permission to point out something remarkable that he is working on, I will make a post here. Otherwise, watch his web site, which is updated periodically with work in progress.

Janel

• 1 month later...

Archived