Simple gifts

Janel

I've completed a piece who's parts were all gifts, and will be given as a gift to someone who gave me many hours of patient training a few years ago.

The Afzalea of the sphinx moth was from spoon carver Norm Sartorius, who sends to me luscious "scrap" pieces of wood now and then.

The base is a scrap from my brother-in-law's kindling pile in his carpentry shop. I do not know what sort of wood it is, but it is very straight grained and very hard.

The burl is a punky piece of wood that my friend picked up and gave to me one day, years ago now, when I was at his place for one of many lessons, grinding my way through the first months of learning web design. The burl will be returned to it's finder, with additions, as a thank you for the training, encouragement and troubleshooting.

385_9346.jpg

385_9360.jpg

Janel

Hi Bob,

Tell me about Paduk. I don't seem to find a finish that feels good after applying it. I've sanded off two or three different applications. Watco remaned tacky for more than a week, now an oil urethane is being tested on it. Any suggestions? I want the wood to have a chance at showing off its bit of chatoyance with some sort of surface encouragement, and it needs to feel good too.

Smooth and does not cause drag when fingers caress the wood's surface.

Not sticky or tacky.

The weather has been cooler and dryer, so the applications of the oil urethane may dry well. The maple block under the dragonfly made last late summer had this as a top coating over something that was more vulnerable. After it was completed, I think it was Ford who said that it looked like French Polish. I looked up that technique and except for the material being applied, the application technique was similar. Several coats until it seemed to not take anymore. Without training, I just keep trying things and asking questions, and probably would make real wood workers curl their toes with the way and the why of how I do things! My apologies! :)

Thanks Chuck, burled wood would make a nice handle, but this wood is fragile, as in punky through and through. That is why I did not carve it. I thought about hardening it, but that risks the beauty and tactility of the soft wood.

Archived