introduction

Samuel Rediske

Hello ,

My name is Samuel Rediske, I thought that I would take this moment to post a little about myself so that you can get an Idea about who I am and what I am about. but first I wanted to thank the organizers of the board for getting it put together so well, and after a few days of looking through the back posts here I feel like I have stumbled apon some like minded individuals, and have found some real inspiration in my reading .

As for me I hope to be able to add to the charicter of the board, as well as learn. my work revolves around the japanese arts in particular japanese sword restoration and mounting . My first area of study was learning to carve and wrap the handles of the japanese sword, then I begain a long ( and appparently never ending) study of traditional lacquer. after I leaned the basics of lacquering I began to look into the japanese metal arts. which is what eventually brought me to the study of jewelry manufacture(to learn basic brazing, the study of gold alloy manufacture and forming and to get a feel for the various other aspects of metal work. which eventually led me here. I am currently working on hammer and chisel engraving , repousse/chasing,metal inlay . so I suppose I am a wood shaving/silk/lacquer major with irreverant "metal bashing " tendencies.

here is a sword that I just finished mounting, it has mokume fittings by your very own Patrick Hastings, as well as a very non traditional snakewood scabbard ,and a silk wrapped handle.

the second picture is a hand guard that I am working on, its maybe halfway, but its what I am working on right now so I thought that it would be a good thing to share. It is made of copper and is engraved using only a hammer(s) and graver(s).

Respectfully ,

Samuel Rediske

post-179-1137729317.jpg

It is very nice to meet you Samuel. Thank you very much for including a photograph to give us a sense of the many things you do!

I do want to say an admin thing about the dimensions of the image, though I'll write privately to you.

Welcome to The Carving Path! I'll be thinking about some questions to ask as time passes.

Janel

Hi Sam,

Good to see you here. This is not a terribly active forum,but there are some really interesting artistans here. You really should post some pics of of your fantastic lacquer work. Great Job on the Snakewood I know that wood is a real pain to work and any mistakes with it are expensive...

Welcome to the carving path :o

Regards,

Patrick Hastings

Archived