Jump to content

Images not recognized


Janel

Recommended Posts

I am a self-taught user of Photoshop CS and Dreamweaver MX 2004. The last web site I completed, and the current one being worked on, experienced and are experiencing failures to recognize the JPEG and GIF images that were saved for the web and placed on the pages. With the last site to be loaded, the SysOp finally found that permissions (something to that nature) were turned off on a portion of the images in the image folder. I worked on all of the images one at a time, in a repetitive and similar procedure, to prepare them for the web site, 2/3s of the images were not recognized. Now, with the current site, the images are not even being recognized by the test browser when a page linked to another page links back to it, before even being uploaded to the server.

 

I am frantic to solve this! The last job I ate two days (no pay) while trying to resave and rework the pages/images with the troubles. Obviously I do not yet know enough! Now, I've spent another day on the current site (which by the way is a donation to a local music booster club).

 

Is there something that I might have done to the Photoshop editing process to subvert my efforts? Is there something simple that I should do? I have not tried trashing the application and reloading it. I am using an iMac G5, OS X 10.3.8.

 

Thanks for any help with this

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i am working on adding pics to my site with dreamweaver3. it almost sounds like the photos have not been actually added to the rough webpage. after placing the photo to the page you need to click the cursor off the picture and then click enter .maybe you are doing it right,but i found several that i thought were locked to the page not actually there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Dan, but when I click the cursor off the picture and then click enter, inside or outside the table I get a

 

, and that is unnecessary code on the page. (I checked and double checked just to be sure.

 

Still fuddled and leaving the control deck to go to the studio. At least, I can see what I am doing and it is pretty straight forward. Well, actually it is challenging too. I am addressing the head of a cicada currently, what a shape that is!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Janel,

 

What do you mean by "not being recognized?" Are they not being found, or can't the browser parse the particular jpeg or GIF format?

 

If "not being found," then you may have the link/directory/pathways set up incorrectly (the pictures are not in the place the link says they are in). I see this happen in Dreamweaver sometimes if you duplicate a pre-exising page, move it into another folder (different directory) and then modify the page.

 

If the image format isn't being recognized, then make sure you are choosing "medium" jpeg quality and the baic GIF format (not interlaced).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Tom and Sergey,

 

I have been pushing the non-working pages around, and find that there is a consistent error in the url that Dreamweaver MX 2004 generates as I link two pages to each other. One test shows images upon opening, but the linked page invariably is ///xxcontact.html rather than what I think it should be. The /// is a clue which I do not understand yet. The url that shows up when the link back to the first page is missing the words that should be after the first two slashes. I am doing the right procedures with Dreamweaver, but perhaps something in one of the site's versions, or copying pages or some part of the drill disconnected the path, or something...

 

I will start another, fake, site with two pages and a few images with a link between the two. Perhaps I have done something erroneous without knowing it.

 

It may be just the linking this time with this new site, but the other earlier web site with the image recognition problems (now repaired by the server) jpeg images did have permissions turned off which I do not understand.

 

Onward I go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I called the software company for technical advice and spoke to a real person! The basic problem was that somewhere I switched a choice from document relative to site relative, and all the pages after that defaulted to that choice, and everything got coded wrong.

 

So the WYSIWYG and the windows that pop open to browse to the files to choose from, and the choices for how to save/select/direct them did give me the problem, since I did not fully understand the difference between site and document relative.

 

Now I will read, reread and chant the descriptions for document and site relative paths and learn better what I need to know!

 

Thanks for helping me think about this. I'll followup with a thumbs up if it all works out!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...