Tools for carving

Ed Twilbeck

I would like some help in what hand tools are needed to do small carvings mostly with hard woods. Carvings similar to netsuke carvings.

I have a basic set of wood carving chisels made by Felxcut. For the wood carving I have done in the past they work great and they hold their edge. Now that I have checked out this graving and carving small objects out of hard wood such as boxwood and others, I know that I will need to get some gravers or make some. I have some drill rod 1/8in and ¼ in. I have checked out a site to purchase a set, A Plate Maker Set. What is a lozenge tool and what it is used for? Please some general information on the tools needed.

Edward C Loyns

Tool Site Then Click to Sister site Ed loyns.

Could not get Edward C Loyns to come up first.

Plate Maker Set L334, six tools length 4 1/2" long. This is a basic tool set of engraving tools with graver handles. Can be used on metal, wood or plastic. Set includes: two gouges (large and small), two flat gravers (large and small) one point graver and one lozenge graver.

the tools on the link are primarily used for metal engraving. the different shapes are used to cut curves and straight lines. if you have drill rod and can make your own small tools all the better. my engravers are off limits for uses other than metal engraving,if my wife needs a new small wood carving tool ,i have a supply of round and square W1 to make what is needed. take a look at Janel's website or here on the tools thread for pictures.

The website you mention seems to carry tools chiefly for jewelry engraving and printmaking- for different types of intaglio work on metal plates, plus wood engravings.

While there is similarity in some of the tools with the gravers and scrapers mentioned on this discussion forum, I'd stick to purchasing some miniature chisels and gouges first - like those made by Dockyard, and a good quality standard carving knife.

The gravers and scrapers can come later as you develop your skills, for more specialized effects.

I had the same problem years ago. I also started with a view gouges and knives but as I went along I made the tools I needed at the moment myself. From old files and dental-picks and scissors.

Have a look at my website for some information about tools: www.netsuke.nl

Ko Baas

Thanks all for the info. I really like what I have seen on Ko BAAS's site. I did get some good Ideas and some good info for the tools. I have some tools and I think that the rest that I will need will be easy to find. :o

Thanks all. Any other information tools will be greatly appreciated.

Archived