Gentlemen's Bowie

What a beauty! Thanks for showing us!

There are some pieces which I would like to see after decades of daily use. Imagine the patination and wear. With netsuke, such use recreates the piece and tells a story. This is one such piece.

Janel

yeah, a little bit of hand grime- err...patina :D tucked into the scroll work on the handle would make it even lovelier.

Question for Charlie: Did you hollow out the antler first to a size that would accept the tang, or did you carve the scrollwork first to the depth you wanted and then hollow? Is the tang just supported with a rivet at the end of the pommel?

Janel and Doug

Thank you both for the comments.

Red Stag has a natural pith unlike Sambar antler. Hollow this out first. Blade supported on each end of handle by nickel silver spacer that is a close fit and pinned to the stag. Then a steel butcap that has a threaded nut to hold it on. The threaded portion is then peened over. Epoxy is then allowed to run down the tang to ensure a strong joint. I hope this is not too much info. Hard to be brief and tell the whole story.

The steel carving was done with some engraving tools I got from my Grandfather. He was a jeweler. I drilled holes to pierce the steel then cut the rest with the hand gravers. I tried a Turbo carver and my brothers air powered engraver. I didn't like the lack of control with either. I tended to cut things I didn't want to. Practice probably would have solved that problem but I thought I might as well be working on a knife.

The turbo carver did work well for punching small holes in the handle.

Nice work, thanks for sharing.

I love the transition at the ricasso, an area that begs to be carved and you did a wonderful job.

I would love to see a closeup of the handle detail if you have the photos.

Nice work, thanks for sharing.

I love the transition at the ricasso, an area that begs to be carved and you did a wonderful job.

I would love to see a closeup of the handle detail if you have the photos.

I would like to thank everyone for their comments. My brother Harry(second twin) has named this knife "Damascus, Stag, Sweat, Bengay and Bandaids". It was a fun knife to make.

Here are a few more photo's of the handle. I think you can see the detail even with the poor quality of the photos.

128036774.jpg

128036773.jpg

Charlie

First Twin

Twin Blades

www.twinxblades.com

Archived