Hi from Medford Lakes

rmiller3

Hi and hello,

I am a first timer at this so don't know exactly how to begin. "At the beginning" said the White King. I am a retired professional who now has time on his hands to pursue avocations long delayed by the press of family and work. My father was a professional artist in the late sixties thru eighties - mostly in South Africa - who sold through galleries in NYC. I used to do some painting many years ago and a little carving. Now I am taking up carving "in the small" again and am interested in techniques, tools, and methods. I find that I let the material lead me. My interests are in "natural" forms but not necessarily physiologically accurate renditions. I'm not up to grand scale carvings and prefer to work in a more modest scale. "Pier 51" is about 8" by 8" and is meant to be viewed from just one side - as shown in the picture attached.

Hope to get some good tips and ideas on this forum

Ralph Miller

:D

post-4-1138903608.jpg

Hi Ralph and welcome. It looks like you have a diverse background. What is the material in "Pier 51"?

One tip is that we have to keep the photos to a certain size or the forum will end up slow and awkward. I took the liberty of resizing your photo. You can find info on this in the Photography section in a thread called "Resize Images for this Forum". Thanks and again, welcome.

The creature is a "found" piece of Luan mahogany. It came as packing in a catalogue item. The stand is a piece of very hard pine (I think) that was part of a pallet on which stones were delivered to me last year. You can see I'm really cheap when it comes to exotic woods. I wish I had a whole lot more of that particular piece of the pallet. It makes wonderful wood to carve.

Ralph

p.s., I realized the problem after I posted the picture. In the new work area I posted a smaller-sized version.

Archived