Black Willow

rmiller3

Have not worked with black willow, in fact I have not seen any. I have carved some Daimond willow, a walking stick. I have used and worked some willow that grows in the south. I had a lot of it that was spalting , Could not carve, too many soft spots. Tell me more about this Black Willow. Got my intrest. :D:(

Don't know a lot about it. I was told by the very funky place I got it that they had it left over from a school building project. I haven't tried to do anything with it as yet, but thought it would be good for a heavily incised bas relief approach. It is light in color and appears to have a vvery regular grain. It may be soft and unworkable in which event I may use it as stands or backsets to other pieces. But we'll see. The place I got it has thousands of pieces of lumber in all shapes and sizes leaning against the outside wall of a huge warehouse. Some of them are gargantuan in size and others short pieces - obviously left over. I finished a piece the other day using walnut planking I got there.

Ralph

Archived