Remove softer wood from between growth rings

Janel

"Another question: I would like to be able to remove by abrasion, chemical treatment or whatever, the soft wood between the hard growth rings on woods. Wire brushes work ok I was wondering, tho' if anyone has other ideas."

Ralph

Hi Ralph,

The first thing that comes to mind is a sand blaster. Jim Kelso has utilized such a creature for altering the wood he works with.

Any other ideas out there?

I've seen wood charred, the harder wood charring less quickly than the softer wood...

Janel

Ralph and Janel,

I had a similar question (that I put to myself) recently and sandblasting was the first thing that came to mind. Seeing as I don't have a sandblaster I started thinking of other solutions and figured that what you need is something that is harder than the soft wood but not so hard that it removes the hard part of the growth circles too. I wondered whether a brass brush would work (along with some elbow grease). I haven't tried it yet but I would be willing to see someone else report results :)

-t

Wire wheel works great for carding away the soft layers. If you use too stiff a bristle it will damage the wood, so it would take some experimenting to find the right one. Brass might just do it. You can do it with a Dremel on small areas or bench grinder for larger pieces.

If you have a compressor, there is a small airbrush size abrasive blaster that is just the neatest tool. I got mine from Gesswein

I've used sandblasting a lot. My little bench blaster works slightly, but mostly I take the work to local granite workers who use blasting for cutting template patterns in granite. You can also char and card, but frankly taking a torch to wood always seemed a little risky to me, although I think it can be done judiciously. I'm curious to try different wire brushes as Don has suggested.

Here's a box in Wenge which etches out as well as anything.

post-4-1139061727.jpg

Archived